Singapore has become a preferred study abroad destination for Indian students looking for an affordable international degree. Singaporean institutes are gaining popularity for the accredited professional degrees they offer in management studies as well as the arts and design. You also get to experience a truly multicultural yet Asian experience both on and off campus.
Institutes in Singapore are especially well-known for the fashion design courses they offer. Apart from the regular fashion design courses, you get to study fashion combined with business studies which prepare you to take on the international fashion industry heads-on! Let’s look at some of these specialist courses and what they teach you:
Fashion and Marketing courses
This is a programme that teaches you to apply professional marketing skills to study and analyse potential markets for the design and production of new fashion collections. Students learn how to identify business opportunities and measure commercial viability. Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts offers a bachelor’s degree in this subject.
Fashion communication and journalism
If you have a flair for writing along with a love for fashion, then a degree in fashion communication and journalism is just the thing for you. The courses provide you with an in-depth understanding of advertising and promotional activities, writing about fashion, international public relations and fashion photography. Graduates can find work opportunities in publication houses (magazines and newspapers), fashion houses or as events consultants for fashion shows. Raffles International offers a bachelor’s degree in this subject.
Fashion management courses
These programmes focus on the business of fashion and cover supply chain management, consumer demand, marketing, and customer service. Students are trained to identify fashion and trends, and bring them to the market. Skills related to planning, sourcing, production, brand development and marketing of a fashion collection are taught. Graduates find themselves working as fashion business managers, fashion buyers, stylists, consultants, and fashion critics. LaSalle College of the Arts offers a bachelor’s degree in this subject.
Some of the advantages you get to enjoy by studying fashion design in Singapore are:
- These fashion merchandising courses open up plenty of career opportunities for you not just in Singapore, but in any country you wish to work in.
- You are taught by lecturers from around the world who bring with them a wealth of industry expertise and knowledge.
- Curriculum is constantly reviewed to allow students to stay up-to-date with industry trends and issues.
- Academic theory is combined with hands-on experience through internships and real-life projects.
- You get the opportunity to build a professional portfolio and gain valuable industry contacts.
- These specialised programmes give you a holistic understanding of the fashion business.
- The cost of study and living works out cheaper than in some other countries.
The growing creative industry in Singapore and Southeast Asia has created a rising demand for fashion design professionals. A combination of sound education in the field and work experience can take you places!
Image courtesy: Teeratas