What is it that your mind conjures when you hear the words 'Hong Kong'? If you are thinking about an ultra modern city with skyscrapers, busy speedway lanes with high-end cars, big shopping malls and the legendary Bruce Lee movies, then your guess is right.
The imprint of the British Empire is clearly still visible in Hong Kong. Since 1997, Hong Kong functions with its own government and currency, but is officially a part of China. Hong Kong today is a bustling cosmopolitan city that houses the offices of top international banks, pharmaceutical and technology companies.
Hong Kong is slowly emerging as a cost-effective study destination as well; if one chooses to spend some time to learn Mandarin.
Some of the advantages of studying in Hong Kong are:
- The tuitions costs are significantly lesser when compared to the USA or the UK.
- Hong Kong is the gateway to mainland China and offers a truly cosmopolitan life.
- Hong Kong has a strong Indian community.
- University accommodation is the best and most cost-effective accommodation option
- Hong Kong has a lot to offer to the traveler. You can explore its vibrant nightlife, nature-treks, and the rest of China.
- If one manages to learn Mandarin and become proficient in the language, then it becomes a lot easier to secure a job in Hong Kong post graduation.
- With a lot of direct flights from all major cities in India, Hong Kong is much more accessible than the USA or the UK.
Top Three Unis
Three institutions from Hong Kong feature in the 'Top 50 under 50' rankings of the QS World Rankings. They are ranked in this order:
1. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is ranked first.
2. City University of Hong Kong is ranked fifth.
3. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is ranked ninth.
This speaks volumes on the high-quality education that is on offer in Hong Kong. In recent years, a number of students have also opted to study medicine and related courses in Hong Kong, as the fee is considerably lower. On returning to India after completing their medical studies, clearing an exam will allow them to practice as a registered medical practitioner in India.
Why Hong Kong
Hong Kong is definitely mushrooming into a strong study-abroad destination for Indian students as countries like the UK are tightening student visa norms and the cost of air-travel is increasing with each passing day. Hong Kong's proximity to India, focused-teaching methods, low tuition costs and an excellent research network are some of the main reasons why Indian students should consider studying in Hong Kong.There are a number of scholarship options available for Indian students as well.