- MEET US >
- Chennai: +91 44 - 4399 5203
- Delhi: +91 11 4919 6900
- Toll free: 1-800-103-9634
Study in Singapore
Posted by Ashwin Sriram | 20 Oct 2014
Students who opt for higher education courses in engineering have a good chance of securing jobs in Singapore after their internships.
Singapore is a city-state and an island nation made up of 63 islands. Mainland Singapore is one of the most densely populated regions in Asia. Singapore is an anglicized version of the name 'Singapura', which means the 'Land of the Lions'.
The modern history of Singapore commences with Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles setting up a trading outpost for the East India Company in 1819. In 1963, Singapore declared independence from the British and joined the Malay Federation. In 1965, the country broke apart from the Malay Federation, and since then Singapore's progress from an underdeveloped country to a financial and technological hub has been an inspiring story.
Asia's Emerging Higher Education Hub
Singapore currently features two institutions in the 'Top 10 Institutions' of the QS University Rankings in Asia. The National University of Singapore (NUS) is ranked second and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is ranked tenth in the list. Other popular and leading institutions in Singapore are:
- LASALLE College of the Arts
- Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA)
- Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS)
- Singapore Institute of Management (SIM)
- MAGES Institute of Excellence
Singapore is extremely popular among students who wish to study courses in animation, design, game development, music, etc. Courses in law and combined post-graduate courses in management and engineering are extremely popular choices for students from South-Asia. With numerous technological companies having offices in Singapore and some institutions offering scholarships for students with a 'work in Singapore clause', Singapore has become a popular study destination for Indians.
Students who opt for higher education courses in engineering also have a good chance of securing jobs in Singapore after their internships.
- The courses are taught in English.
- Tuition fees and living expenses are less compared to the USA and the UK.
- With many Indians and Sri Lankans living there, Singapore has a strong South-east Asian community.
- The country’s strict law enforcement policy and stable political environment offers students a lot of safety.
- Zero tolerance to racism and drugs.
- Some institutions offer courses in partnership with leading American and Australian institutions.
- Well-connected to the rest of Asia as Singapore has one of the best airports in the region.
- With good academic performance, chances of securing a job in Singapore are high.
Singapore as a Study Destination
With its highly affordable education and top-notch courses in computer science, law and animation, Singapore is an excellent study destination for Indian students. International students have the option of completing a top-notch course that is on par with what is being offered in the UK and the US, at a much-cheaper cost in Singapore. Being very proximate to India also means cheaper air-fare.
Additionally, institutions from the USA, UK and Australia have opened satellite campuses in Singapore to offer their courses at a subsidized cost. With so many positive factors in place, Singapore is all set to become the number one study abroad destination for Asian students.
How to choose the right course
How to short-list Universities