An MS degree stands for Masters of Science and is a postgraduate degree primarily offered in various branches of engineering and core sciences. It is usually considered to be the equivalent of a Master of Engineering degree offered in India (M.E.). A Master of Science degree is commonly referred to as MSc, MS, or M.Sci.This article looks at why you should opt for an MS degree, pros and cons of studying for an MS degree and a list of popular universities around the world offering an affordable MS degree.
Why an international MS matters?
- High quality of education boosted by a research-oriented curriculum
- Ideal pathway to progress to a doctoral programme in the same university
- Easier access to funding to work on research projects
- Most degrees include a work-placement module
- Brand value of a reputed institution adds merit to one’s CV
- Most leading universities offer a scholarship for postgraduate students
- If you are looking to immigrate, a degree from that country is an added asset
Some of the top choices by Indian students for MS courses are:
- MS in Computer Science Engineering
- MS in Information Technology
- MS in Electronics and Communications Engineering
- MS in Automobile Engineering
- MS in Biotechnology
Deterrents to studying abroad:
Cost-wise the fee charged by most institutions for an MS degree is a sizeable sum of money
Applicants need to have a very good academic score in their undergraduate degree
Dedicated time needed to prepare to clear qualifying tests like the GRE and TOEFL/IELTS
The course curriculum is quite comprehensive and there have been a number of cases of students shifting to another program after being overwhelmed by the MS programme
Varied destinations around the world:
Some of the top-ranking universities in the USA to opt for an MS degree are - Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University and Carnegie Mellon University. Popular universities for postgraduate study in the UK in science and engineering include - University of Cambridge, University of Oxford and University of Edinburgh. In Australia, the best place for an MS degree would include institutions like the University of Melbourne, Australian National University and the University of New South Wales. Leading institutions in New Zealand to opt for an MS are - the University of Auckland, University of Canterbury and University of Otago.
Singapore and Malaysia are fast emerging as ‘value for money destinations’ to get an MS degree as the costs are significantly lesser and the culture and way of life is similar to that of life in India. Universiti Malaya (UM), UniversitiSains Malaysia (USM) and Multimedia University (MMU) are leading universities in Malaysia, which offer an MS degree. The leading universities to study an MS programme in Singapore are - National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University and Singapore Management University.
Basic entry requirements:
- The specific entry requirements for an MS degree vary from institution to institution. The basic common requirements are as follows:
- A good academic score in a relevant undergraduate programme
- Good scores on the GRE
- TOEFL score of 550 or higher (paper-based test), 79 or higher on the internet-based test (or) IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
- Any relevant work experience will be considered favourably by the institution
The way forward:
An MS degree from a reputed international institution holds significant value and meritorious students have a high probability of progressing to a doctoral programme at the same institution. If you have a good academic score and the financial backing to opt for an MS abroad, go ahead and apply for the programme. You can use our advanced course-finder tool to find a relevant MS degree of your choice.