One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 1 posts
A few basic doubts, please help me out
Geek Back Geek Back Member Join date: Sep, 2012 Posts: 1 Points: 0
Hi, I’m an E&C engineering student right now in my 7th semester. My B.E academic history is not very good. I love computers & coding, but i took up electronics due to family pressure. Consequently, I’ll be graduating late by 2 years (passing out in '13, but joined B.E in '07). Adding up, in total I had 20 backlogs, which I have also cleared, and my aggregate stands at 55%. I really want to study MS in CS. But I have a few doubts; I hope someone can please help me out. > Is it possible to change stream from EC to CS? > Will my poor engineering history prevent me from getting an admission for MS? > I have attended a number of hackathons, contests and quizzes, taken up courses. Have also been working on a few independent software projects. Is there anything more I could do to make my profile worthy of consideration? > When talking about backlogs - at the time of applying, does it mean only the outstanding backlogs or the total of all, throughout Engineering?
  • September 13, 2012
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (1)

Gigeo Sakkaryas Gigeo Sakkaryas Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 685 Points: 9932 Trusted Advisor

Hi, Lots of arrears lessens the chances of getting in to a good University. US visa rejection is high for students with lots of backlogs. I would suggest you to look at countries like UK or Singapore for a Masters where the visa sucess rate is high and then if you are still academically inclined, you can proceed to a Masters by research or PhD programs. You can change from Electronics to Computer Science Masters. 

You seem to have lots of hands- on experience and I am sure you will be sucessful. But unfortunately, most Universities need strong academic knowledge as well to grant admissions. I wish you all the best. 

Gigeo Sakkaryas | IMTP Consultants

Add a quick reply to 'A few basic doubts'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.