One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 4 posts
Are IELTS and TOEFL having difference for the purpose they're taken?Which one is preferable?
Sakura L profile image Sakura L Member Join date: Aug, 2012 Posts: 3 Points: 1
Hi :) I am currently studying in 12th std and I want to pursue my Undergraduate education in a college in USA. I decided to take IELTS but some people told me to take TOEFL instead of IELTS. I am in confusion as to take which of them. Are both the same or any different in the purpose for which they're taken? Which is more suitable for me? Thank You.
  • April 17, 2013

Replies (4)

Biruda Virkud Biruda Virkud Contributor Join date: Mar, 2013 Posts: 39 Points: 480 Trusted Advisor

Dear Sakura 

Both TOEFL and IELTS serve the same purpose establish your language profeciency to apply to universities abroad and test the same four skills Readling listening, writing and speaking , earlier TOEFL was more acceptable in USA and IELTS in other countries like UK , AUS and NZ , CA . You will find a differnce in the accent used in the listentng section for both , in IELTS it is british english that is used 

These days both are accepted by most universities so no worries

You can check the format on www .toefl.org and www.ielts.org and take the test that is easier for you .

hope that helps 

Biruda Virkud | iGrad Global
Hudipta Gabrari profile image Hudipta Gabrari Member Join date: Feb, 2014 Posts: 1 Points: 10

hello!!! i am a 2nd year mechanical engineering student & am planning to go to abroad for my masters. which tests are required to be cleared for studying in USA & UK. I shall be obliged with anykind of help.

Biruda Virkud Biruda Virkud Contributor Join date: Mar, 2013 Posts: 39 Points: 480 Trusted Advisor

Dear Hudipta 

Good to hear from you

Since you are aiming for your Masters Studies in Mechanical Engineering in USA or UK , you need to appear for two types of tests

aptitude entrance which has Verbal , Quant and Analytical skills i.e GRE test , by registering and preparing on the GRE,org official website 

this test can be taken even this year since the scores are valid for 5 years  the other test is the language test you can take either TOEFL test  refer toefl.org OR the IELTS test refer IELTS.org  these are  language profeciency test , these can be taken in the 3rd year since the scores are valid for only 2 years

Hope this clarifies your doubts on the exams needed to secure a MS admit

All the best 

Regards

Biruda 

Biruda Virkud | iGrad Global
Ray Pp profile image Ray Pp Member Join date: Jun, 2016 Posts: 8 Points: 130

We offer our exclusive clients the ability to gain IELTS,TOEFL,ESOL AUTODESK certificates without taking the exams. The regions we cover are Asia ,UAE, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Jordan,Kuwait ,Australia ,Canada and Europe Purchase Real and Novelty Passports,id cards,Visas,Drivers License ,Counterfeits Email us at
ray.powells31@gmail.com for details Are you trying to change your nationality ? do you need work papers ? do you want to travel ? do you need papers you cant have ?

Add a quick reply to 'Are IELTS and TOEFL having difference for the purpose they're taken?Which one is preferable?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.