One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 5 of 27 posts
Backlogs a barrier to study abroad?
Gokul . profile image Gokul . Member Join date: Nov, 2013 Posts: 3 Points: 12
im doing my mechanical engineering 3rd year in ceg chennai i have got about 17 backlogs now which i would clear by the end of this year. i am preparing hard for my gre. Would i be able to get into any US University for my MS in engineering management or industrial engineering if i get a good GRE score ? and what else should i concentrate on to build my resume ?
  • January 07, 2014
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (27)

Supriya Ananth Supriya Ananth Member Join date: Jan, 2014 Posts: 3 Points: 35

Backlogs will not be a barrier to your study abroad plans if you clear them within your course period of 4 years and also with good grades. A good CGPA, good GRE score, inspiring Statement of Purpose and a few glowing letters of reccommendation will surely help you secure an admission into a good university. Study hard! Best of luck!!

Gokul . profile image Gokul . Member Join date: Nov, 2013 Posts: 3 Points: 12

but even when i clear my arrears i dont think i would be able to get a cgpa over 6.5 max 

would that be a problem?

Supriya Ananth Supriya Ananth Member Join date: Jan, 2014 Posts: 3 Points: 35

It depends on what type of universities you are applying to. If u aim to get into ivy league universities or the top 40 universities then defenitely it would be difficult, but there are many top universities who accept students with average CGPAs. Work hard on your GRE and TOEFL score. Research the various universities offering engineering management courses and apply to those universities to whose eligibility criteria you fit into. While applying make sure you apply to atleast 6 universities. By doing this you will increase your chances of securing an admission. 

Gurpreet Singh profile image Gurpreet Singh Member Join date: Feb, 2015 Posts: 1 Points: 20

i have 2 backlogs in final year. And so my degree is extended now. But i want to go abroad for my master in civil engineering. So what are your suggestions?

Navdeep Kaur Navdeep Kaur Expert Join date: Aug, 2014 Posts: 54 Points: 785

Hi Gurpreet,

Greetings from Hotcourses!

If you have cleared your Backlogs then there should not be a problem to the University! You can definitely pursue your MS in Civil after this as well. Please share me your CV at navdeep.kaur@hotcourses.co.in so that i can send you some list if Universities! Also register yourself on our website so that you keep receiving emails from us!

You can also call us at our toll free num 1800-103-2581.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Navdeep Kaur

Team Hotcourses!

Add a quick reply to 'Backlogs a barrier to study abroad?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.