One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 3 posts
I want to do PG (Media) in US. My Bachelor's degree was 3 years long. Does US only accept 4 yrs bachelor's?
R B R B Member Join date: Sep, 2013 Posts: 2 Points: 11
I hold a Bachelor's in Mass Media (BMM) from a reputed South Mumbai college, awarded by the University of Mumbai. I specialized in Journalism, and subsequently graduated in July, 2012. I have since then been working. ICourses in Media and communication studies. Ideally, I want to work at a publishing house/in a magazine, newspaper. My UG degree consisted of a duration of three years. I've been told that most schools in the US require at least 4 years of UG study (16 yrs of education). Would that disqualify me? In order to deal with this "16 years of education" problem, I signed up for a PG Diploma course this July. But my concern is, it's a Distance Learning course (online, Symbiosis). I took up distance as I am working, and it allowed me to complete 1 more year of education + work at the same time. So, will the US universities recognize my diploma as one more educational year? Or will I have to do a full-time university course?
  • September 03, 2013
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (3)

Madhan Kumar Madhan Kumar Expert Join date: Feb, 2013 Posts: 601 Points: 9315

Hi..

Most of the student are having this situation and let me clarify that not all US Universities require 16 years of education to be completed. Some may accept you with 15 yrs as well. However, they will want to have a closer look at your BBM transcript and ask for a WES evaluation before deciding on whether you need another 1 yr of studies.

Having said that, I recommend you to directly contact a few US Universities to get a sense.

So, believe what the Admission Committee says rather than going by a general perception prevailing among students.

R B R B Member Join date: Sep, 2013 Posts: 2 Points: 11

Hey Praveen, 

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, you're right! I just emailed some universities and some said they require 4 years, some said they are fine with 3 years UG. 

Boston University (which is what I'm applying to) replied that as long as I have completed my Bachelor's, I can apply and that 4 years UG is not required. So, that's good to hear!

Thanks a lot for your help Praveen, you really helped me out! Much appreciated.

Manu Chablani profile image Manu Chablani Member Join date: Oct, 2013 Posts: 1 Points: 10

What is the fees, food & accomodation cost for the course.

Add a quick reply to 'I want to do PG (Media) in US. My Bachelor's degree was 3 years long. Does US only accept 4 yrs bachelor's?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.