One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 2 posts
If I got visa of USA then I can work and study in USA?
Santosh Yadav profile image Santosh Yadav Member Join date: May, 2012 Posts: 2 Points: 0
What predication I should reflect for USA study visa. If I got visa for USA then I can work there or not?
  • May 08, 2012
  • Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (2)

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan profile image Ajay Sathyan Sathyan Expert Join date: Feb, 2012 Posts: 414 Points: 6045 Trusted Advisor

International students can work in the United States, but under certain conditions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). You can work On campus jobs such as teaching assistantship or research assistantship where you get paid $8 to $10 per hour, thus student earns $ 500-$ 600 per month or can get a waiver in tuition fees. And you can also do internship in the related field which may be paid.  During vacation the student is allowed to work for 40 hrs per week. On completion of the course, student is allowed to work for 1year under OPT (optional practical training). There are certain degrees where students are allowed to work for 29 months. And after completion of OPT students can apply for H1 B visa (work permit visa).

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan | Uniguru
Richard Lasrado Richard Lasrado Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 344 Points: 5001 Trusted Advisor

USA visa is the toughest and the simplest of all visas. Toughest because you have visa interview which normally last for 3 minutes in which the visa officer decide visa or no visa for USA. I am not aware of any other foreign countries that process the visa as fast as USA does. Hence, you need to convey your ideas very clearly on why you wish to study in USA and not in India, why do you think you will come back to India?, why you have joined this program? your goals and objectives in life, etc. Hence there is huge risk as you have just 3 minutes to explain your case as a genuine student for USA study and therefore I mentioned toughest visa. Easy as you do not have to submit documents and the visa officer is not going through it.  Hence you have a chance to get USA visa even with few weak document (academic or financial) and you can explain your position if asked visa on the same documents. Hence USA visa is easy than all other foreign countries visa. The reason I mentioned all this is because your assumption (prediction) of USA visa caught my attention. I wanted to explain how easy and difficult your prediction for USA visa is?

Having stated that, YES you can work on campus and after 6 months most universities in USA allow off campus work. You also have chance to apply for assistantship which is based on your GPA. However, your job will not be able to cover the entire cost but just part of your accommodation and living expenses in most cases. If you are successful in getting research assistantship (RA) from your USA University then you probably have better chances to cover your entire cost of education i.e., tuition, accommodation and living expenses. However RA depends on funding availability and research project availability and is further offered to few merit based students.

Regards,

Richard Lasrado | Education Abroad Counselling Centre

Add a quick reply to 'If I got visa of USA then I can work and study in USA?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.