One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 1 posts
Mbbs course enquiry
Garima Singh profile image Garima Singh Member Join date: Jun, 2012 Posts: 3 Points: 0
respected sir/madam, I want following information regarding MB BS study at U.S.A : 1-what is the degree awarded (MB BS or M.D)? 2-what is the fees structure approx including accommodation 3-what is the eligibility for pursuing this course there. 4-how can I apply there? Looking forward for your reply. thanking you.
  • July 05, 2012
  • Preferred qualification: Undergraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (1)

Sasidharan Nambiar Sasidharan Nambiar Expert Join date: Jun, 2012 Posts: 130 Points: 1935 Trusted Advisor

Hi,

The study of medicine in the U.S. generally begins after completion of 4 years of UG studies which includes meeting the pre-medical school course requirements along with obtaining a bachelor's degree in any subject.

Medical school itself usually lasts four years and is followed by 3-5 years of graduate medical education (internship/residency). 

Students are admitted provisionally to these programs based upon their high school credentials and, if their performance is satisfactory, are permitted to progress to the M.D. degree. This program generally takes six or seven years and admission to it is extremely competitive for foreign students.

So to your question, in the US, it is known as M.D and the total duration will be 8 years + Housemanship.

As far as fee structure is concerned, its difficult to exactly quantify as it varies from institution to institution but appromateley cost you about Rs.1.25 crore+ if you are doing the entire 8 years.

Most institutions require foreign students to have completed at least the last two years of their undergraduate study in a U.S. college or university. An increasing number of medical schools require a bachelor's degree from a U.S. school. Even with a U.S. bachelor's degree, medical schools admit few foreign students since space is so limited.

Also you will have to take up Medical College Admission Test and it is to be taken18 months prior to the intended date of enrollment.

I hope I have answered all your queries. All the Best!

Sasidharan Nambiar | IMTP Consultants

Add a quick reply to 'Mbbs course enquiry'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.