One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 3 posts
PHD in English
Debarati Roy Debarati Roy Member Join date: Oct, 2013 Posts: 2 Points: 10

i'm pursuing M.A. in English(2nd year) from Calcutta University. I want to go to USA for PHD in English. How to go about it ? please tell me the starting point , course duration and schlolarship options and procedures

• February 05, 2014
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (3)

Beaula Maria Beaula Maria Contributor Join date: Feb, 2014 Posts: 17 Points: 265

•Finalize atleast 6 universities that matches your profile

•You may have to take up qualifying examinations that usually consist of both written and oral components (IELTS/TOEFL). 

•Find professors in universities and email the professor that you are very much interest in respective English Lit department.

•Fill in the application form for PhD degree completely. 

•Prepare your recommendation letters, SOP/essays and resume highlighting your academic excellence, research interests and credentials and your objective for pursuing a PhD degree abroad. In certain universities you would have to submit a detailed research proposal as well.

•Prepare your financial documents if applicable. 

The scholarship depends upon your previous academic result and also after entering the university, depending on your academic performance in the 1st term you will get the fee waiver or scholarship from the 2nd term onwards. The University admission team will have their own eligibility criteria and the student has to fulfill it, then you shall be eligible for the same. You can enquire about scholarship in the university/department for more information.

Deepika Ch Deepika Ch Member Join date: Jan, 2014 Posts: 3 Points: 30

Hi Debarati Roy,

What Beaula Maria said is correct. There are tutorials about selecting universities and preparing the process. You can check them at download the files and work on them.

Debarati Roy Debarati Roy Member Join date: Oct, 2013 Posts: 2 Points: 10

thank you so much...Deepika and B.Maria...

Add a quick reply to 'PHD in English'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.