One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 5 of 20 posts
Can a commerce graduate student become a pilot?
Pradeep Kumar Pradeep Kumar Member Join date: Jan, 2014 Posts: 1 Points: 0

Hi I am a commerce graduate student. Can I become a pilot?

• January 28, 2014
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (20)

Priya Suresh Priya Suresh Contributor Join date: Jan, 2014 Posts: 26 Points: 400

Your interest towards becoming a Pilot is appreciated, but there are chances of the university to consider your application to be irrelevant and there are chances of your application getting rejected. Hence, I would suggest you to go with Masters Course in the same or related field. 

Shajid Esam Shajid Esam Member Join date: Jun, 2014 Posts: 1 Points: 41

A commerce graduate can absolutely become an airline pilot. It is irrelevant what your background is as long as you can clear the exams at various levels of your flight training. Knowledge of physics and math will be helpful but that does not limit you. You will be going through the basics when you start with your Private Pilot License (PPL). You may struggle but it can be overcome with hardwork. Keep in mind that if you want to become a pilot, the best route is to join an airline's cadet pilot program such as programs offered by Indigo, Jet Airways etc. but if that is not possible, you will have to pay from your own pocket. If you are paying by yourself, it is better to get your license from outside India since you will be wasting 2 years in India whereas you can get your Commercial Pilot License (CPL) for approximately $40,000 in 8-9 months(weather permitting) from US. Once you have your CPL, you can come to India; and convert your license since India follows the european standards (EASA) and look for an opportunity to get your type rating either by getting into an airline (PS: Get into any position in the airline and you can transfer internally) where the airline will pay for the rating or look for flying academy's that offer ratings. You might want to look for ratings on popular aircrafts mainly Boeing 737's and Airbus A320's. I know all this because I too am a commerce graduate and now I am Commander of Boeing 777 for an airline iin the Gulf with 7500 flight hours.

Lata Parmar profile image Lata Parmar Member Join date: Oct, 2014 Posts: 1 Points: 15

Dear Captain Shajid..

i am a cabin crew and would like to apply for cadet pilot training.. I am also commerce graduate however haven't mastered in maths and physics.. Do you think if I apply for training, will they accept my application..

im scared applying as I don't want any negative response and wait for another year to apply again.

Abbas Kagzi profile image Abbas Kagzi Member Join date: May, 2015 Posts: 1 Points: 10

HI! MY NAME IS ABBAS. I WILL HAVE TO BECOME AN AIRLINE PILOT AND THIS IS BIG DREAM OF MY LIFE. KNOW I AM IN 11TH STANDARD. I TOOK COMMERCE. CAN I BECOME AN AIRLINER PILOT IN COMMERCE SUBJECT. 

Melwin Jaimon profile image Melwin Jaimon Member Join date: May, 2015 Posts: 1 Points: 10

i am melwin my dream and ambition is to  become a commercial pilot ..................but i got commerce stream ...............i want to know that by studying commerce i can become a pilot ...and if i did piloting in USA and after getting CPL I wont get a job in USA right cuz  am not a american citizen and i dont have green card so i have to convert my license where i want ...........but for converting i heared that there should be science or maths  i want to know about this can you please tell me 

Add a quick reply to 'Can a commerce graduate student become a pilot?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.