One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 1 posts
Procedure for medical education in australia
Aabrez Shams profile image Aabrez Shams Member Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 1 Points: 0
I'd like to know the procedure to acquire a chance to secure post-graduate medical education in Australia. I have completed MBBS in India. What will be the exams and steps that I'll have to undergo to get a chance to study down under?? Thank you.
  • March 24, 2012
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: Australia

Replies (1)

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan profile image Ajay Sathyan Sathyan Expert Join date: Feb, 2012 Posts: 414 Points: 6045 Trusted Advisor

All of the Australian graduate-entry programs have related admission requirements. Applicants need a Bachelors degree. There are no specific pre-requisite topics (premedical or other) and the degree may be in any area. Indeed the programs are seeking students with varied backgrounds and experience. Although this varies between Schools and assessment systems, a B or 75% average or a GPA above 3 on a 4-point scale could be competitive in combination with good test scores.
Recent results from an admissions test – either the US test MCAT or the Australian test, GAMSAT – are required for an application. Required scores probably range from a minimum of 8s on MCAT or an overall 58 on GAMSAT (but check with individual Schools). All Schools interview international applicants but use different approaches. In many cases, interviews are conducted in the applicant’s region so that overseas travel is not required.
Application deadlines vary from June to mid-August and some Schools will consider applications with August MCAT scores to be submitted when available. There is a national admissions process and the website for the National Admissions Centre gives information about all of the graduate-entry programs, admission processes and also about the Australian admissions test, GAMSAT. Visit and click on Graduate Medical Admissions Centre. Some Schools, including Flinders, prefer direct applications to allow for earlier admissions decisions.
It is, of course, a big decision for an international student to apply to Post Graduate Medicine in Australia. The Australian academic year runs from February to November, a mismatch with many other systems. The annual tuition fees range from AUD$35,000 and require a big financial commitment.

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan | Uniguru

Add a quick reply to 'Procedure for medical education in australia'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.