One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 2 posts
Profile evaluation and low AWA score.
Shivam Gupta profile image Shivam Gupta Member Join date: Oct, 2013 Posts: 1 Points: 0
My credentials are as follows:- college-NIT cgpi-8.1 field electrical and electronics engineering GRE-325(159+166) AWA-3 TOEFL-105(speaking-20) what are my chances for university of Illinois-urbana champaign or carnegie mellon university for masters in electrical engineering??Please evaluate
  • October 11, 2013
  • Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (2)

Richard Lasrado Richard Lasrado Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 344 Points: 5001 Trusted Advisor

Hello Shivam,

It is important to apply to 6 to 8 USA Universities so that you have good admission chance.

I find you have good admission chance at Illinois-Urbana Champaign and in Carnegie Mellon even with your low AWA score. Do work on your SOP, and get good LOR's. Apply early (Oct-Nov-Dec'13 for FALL 2014 intake) is the key. Do regular correspondence to check you admission chances or to know if your packet is complete? It is also advisable to email your research professors or call them. If possible take your GRE again.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Richard Lasrado, Education Abroad Counselling Centre, Mumbai, India

Richard Lasrado | Education Abroad Counselling Centre
Biruda Virkud Biruda Virkud Contributor Join date: Mar, 2013 Posts: 39 Points: 480 Trusted Advisor

Dear Shivam

Greetings from Uniguru 

Thank you for your query .

Good to know that you have decided to pursue a MS in USA and have also narrowed down the specializaton to ECE

Deciding on the colleges to apply to is an important juncture in the college admission process. It starts with careful assessment of where you are and what do you realistically expect to achieve.

From your profile , I can see that you have great academics i.e 8/10 ,  your GRE score is also very good , AWA score of 3.0 is fine , anything lower than 3 is a concern.

As such US universities base their admission and scholarship decision on the basis of the overall student profile which is academics, GRE score and Co- curricular activites , hence I feel you have a good chance to secure admission in reputed US universities for ECE 

UIUC and CMU are rated in the Top 10 for ECE and will definately provide with good career prospects if you secure an admit here . You need to apply to atleast 8 universities to ensure good probability of admissions

Find the admission requirements for these 2 universities for your reference , which will help you make an informed decision

Do note that, The Uniguru website has an extensive library of career related articles and videos. 

If you want to gain in depth knowledge about a career or course, universities and admission process, we suggest you to refer the website closely

We hope the above information has helped you achieve clarity with regards to your query.

Also, feel free to write to us if you have any further queries. 

Biruda Virkud

Admisison Advisor

Biruda Virkud | iGrad Global

Add a quick reply to 'Profile evaluation and low AWA score.'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.