One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 5 of 7 posts
Is it advisable for me to do masters in U.S?
Srikanth Reddy Srikanth Reddy Member Join date: Oct, 2013 Posts: 4 Points: 30
Hi. I'm graduated in the year 2013. Presently i'm working as associate software engineer in a product based company(i dont want to reveal the name). Salary ~ 6 lakhs per Annum . I've got 305 in gre and I do have lots of industry specific certifications like oracle certification , pega certification etc . What colleges will I get.? Is it advisable to leave the job and perceive masters? what will be the scope of placements after completing masters
  • October 12, 2013
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (7)

Richard Lasrado Richard Lasrado Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 344 Points: 5001 Trusted Advisor

Hello Srikanth,

The questions that you have asked is very relevant but you need to answer them not me. You know your family background, no. of dependants, etc.

Everyone that is going to USA is taking calculated risk and the success rate after 2 to 5 years is quite high (above 80% do settle and are doing reasonably well in their career). I further will like to assume that the balance 20% should also be doing reasonably well but would be from business background, etc.

USA gives you option to study, option to work, and option to settle. Hence there is huge demand for USA study over others.

It is for you to decide whether you wish to take the calculated risk or prefer to grow with your present job.

I do not provide any list of universities without proper research.

All the best!

Best regards,

Richard Lasrado, Education Abroad Counselling Centre, Mumbai, India

Richard Lasrado | Education Abroad Counselling Centre
Biruda Virkud Biruda Virkud Contributor Join date: Mar, 2013 Posts: 39 Points: 480 Trusted Advisor

Dear Srikanth,

Greetings from Uniguru 

Thank you for your query .

Good to know that you have decided to pursue a MS in USA and have also narrowed down the specializaton as Computer Science 

Deciding on the colleges to apply to is an important juncture in the college admission process. It starts with careful assessment of where you are and what do you realistically expect to achieve.

From your profile , I can see that your GRE score of 305 is  competitive , and you have relevant work experience as well

As such US universities base their admission and scholarship decision on the basis the overall student profile which is academics, GRE score and Co- curricular activites , hence I feel you have a good chance to secure admission in reputed US universities for Computer Science , you can aim to apply for Fall 2014 intake , you can consider universities which have Jan 1st deadlines onwards 

As for Career Prospects in USA for Computer Science , these are quite good. Try to network with alumni and faculty during your Master's program , also get some good internships done during break, these will enhance your chances of securing good career prospects in the long run. Post Master's you get upto 29 months to get a work visa done from your employer.

Here are a few I would recommend you to apply to:

University of Pittsburgh

Michgan State University

West Virginia University

Binghamton University, State University of New York

Do note that, The Uniguru website has an extensive library of career related articles and videos. 

If you want to gain in depth knowledge about a career or course, universities and admission process, we suggest you to refer the website closely http://www.uniguru.co.in/studyabroad/postgraduate/us-usa-university-courses/us-usa-computer-science-courses/i/cb./all211/1/programs.html

We hope the above information has helped you achieve clarity with regards to your query.

Also, feel free to write to us if you have any further queries. 

Regards,

Biruda Virkud

Admisison Advisor

iGradGlobal

Biruda Virkud | iGrad Global

Thanks for the reply. Im thinking to apply there universities

Stony Brook
Suny Buffalo
University of southern california
U Cincinnati
SYRACUSE

How are the chances of getting admits from these universities.?

Biruda Virkud Biruda Virkud Contributor Join date: Mar, 2013 Posts: 39 Points: 480 Trusted Advisor

Srikanth 

Good to hear from you

You can consider

Southern California

Syracuse

Do double check the deadlines for the others though for Fall 2014 intake

Biruda Virkud | iGrad Global

How about the other Universities? Dont i have any chance of getting admit?

Add a quick reply to 'Is it advisable for me to do masters in U.S?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.