One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 2 posts
How to move forward with my SOP?
Joylan Pinto profile image Joylan Pinto Member Join date: Oct, 2013 Posts: 1 Points: 0
I have my GRE on nov 12th. I want to begin with my application process right away. Can you please help me on how to move about with my SOP?
  • October 14, 2013

Replies (2)

Richard Lasrado Richard Lasrado Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 344 Points: 5001 Trusted Advisor

Hello Joyian,

"Statement of Purpose" - Statement means Essay. Statement of Purpose means Essay on "YOUR PURPOSE".

SOP is not a day affair but can take few days and sometime months to finalize. A good SOP need edit, re-edit, reading again and again same SOP on different days to check if you have missed some information or you wish to remove some information that you find is duplicated or is redundant, etc. You further will like to show your SOP  to your teachers or professors or friends studying in USA and get their inputs on it. Finally you want to sit again and make necessary changes and get your final draft ready. SOP is a gist of what you have done and what you wish to do in future. However, there is word limit of around 500 to 750 words. Hence, you need to express yourself in minimum words but still provide clear picture about you to the admission committee for admission evaluation purpose.

Here are few questions for your SOP

1. Why USA?

2. Why particular University?

3. Why particular Program in USA?

4. How you wish to contribute to the program? (Your past academics, work exp, other related certificates, sports, etc)

5. What are your short term and long term goals?

6. What are our strengths?

7. What are your dreams and vision in life?

It is not necessary that you need to answer all questions but relevant ones. All the best!

Best regards,

Richard Lasrado, Education Abroad Counselling Centre, Mumbai, India

Richard Lasrado | Education Abroad Counselling Centre
Madhan Kumar Madhan Kumar Expert Join date: Feb, 2013 Posts: 601 Points: 9315

Hi Joylan,

You can also check out the videos on SOP and admission essays..

Hope it will be useful for you!

Add a quick reply to 'How to move forward with my SOP?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.