One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 3 posts
Best universities to do M.S in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Vageesh Govindhen profile image Vageesh Govindhen Member Join date: Jul, 2012 Posts: 1 Points: 0
Hey, I'm planning to take my TOEFL by august. My score in GRE : 309 (v-147,q-162, AWA-3.5) B.E - 79.96 %(6 Semesters) Scored First mark in my second semester. I attended and volunteered two International Conferences (on renewable energy). I attended a few workshops, One month Internship at Larsen and Toubro (project on renewable energy). Two in-plant trainings at whirlpool and Sundaram Fasteners’. Planning to present papers at symposiums. Worked on Homer software (Micro power optimization software for renewable sources). Extra curricular: Wrote Ncc B certificate exam, part of social service groups. I’m planning to do M.S in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Fall 2013) and specialize in Power generation Please suggest some universities. What should be my TOEFL score in order to compensate for my GRE verbal?
  • July 17, 2012
  • Preferred qualification: Postgraduate | Preferred study destination: United States

Replies (3)

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan profile image Ajay Sathyan Sathyan Expert Join date: Feb, 2012 Posts: 414 Points: 6045 Trusted Advisor

Hi, the highest score on the paper TOEFL is 677. The highest score on the computer TOEFL is 300. Most people now still use the paper TOEFL scores, even though most students take the computer TOEFL. You should find out with the university for the scores required. In general, however, the score requirements range from 133 to 250 (CBT scoring) or 450 to 600 (PBT scoring).

You will need to score at least 550 paper based or 213 on the computerized exam in TOEFL.

There are many universities offering Postgraduate Electrical Engineering courses in the USA. You can also read the article from Uniguru regarding Electrical engineer- Career options and courses to study.

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan | Uniguru
Gigeo Sakkaryas Gigeo Sakkaryas Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 685 Points: 9932 Trusted Advisor

Hi, Your GRE score is a decent score though your Verbal is slightly lower. I would advise you to look at a TOEFL Score of atleast 100 plus out of 120 to compensate the Verbal score. The University still decides what is required for a specific course. 

Gigeo Sakkaryas | IMTP Consultants
Richard Lasrado Richard Lasrado Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 344 Points: 5001 Trusted Advisor

Dear friend,

First and foremost, most good USA University will not compensate your low GRE verbal score with your high TOEFL score. Few of the USA University have minimum GRE verbal score requirement that you need to fulfill if you wish to target them. TOEFL is not mandatory for all students and it is applicable to international students whose native language is not English. The better option will be to take the GRE again.

Second, TOEFL score above 100+ out of 120 is considered good. There are good number of USA Universities which will accept you on TOEFL score of 90 plus.

USA University list offering Power generation or related courses ar elisted below:

1. Arizona State University

2. University of Illinios - Urbana Champaign

3. North Carolina State University

4. Drexel University

5. University of Texas - Arlington and many more...

There is further scholarship available for power related courses. Power and Energy Society offers scholarship and you need to check the eligibility criteria. Further North Carolina State University offers EPSE scholarship and you need to check and email them.

Finally, you need to do your pre-application research to understand your university list for admission which will accept your present profile.

All the BEST!

Regards,

Richard Lasrado

Richard Lasrado | Education Abroad Counselling Centre

Add a quick reply to 'Best universities to do M.S in Electrical and Computer Engineering'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.