One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
  • Viewing 2 posts
What is the suitable course for me?
Farah Francis profile image Farah Francis Member Join date: Sep, 2012 Posts: 1 Points: 0
Hey, I am currently doing International Baccalaureate Diploma. I am interested in Biology especially when it comes to Human Physiology and Genetic. Besides I am very scared with blood and cuts. I am not that good in Math and Chemistry. Other then that, I enjoy interacting with people and communicating with them.
  • September 10, 2012

Replies (2)

Gigeo Sakkaryas Gigeo Sakkaryas Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 685 Points: 9937 Trusted Advisor

Hi, With Biology as a background in your IB Diploma, you can try to do courses like Marine Biology, Biological Sciences, Molecular Biology,  Medical Biochemistry,  Medical Cell Biology, Marine and Freshwater Biology, etc.

Do try the following Universities which are well known for the above subjects in UK. University College London, University of Bradford, University of Nottingham, University of Plymouth, Universtiy of Portsmouth, etc. You need to apply through UCAS and I would advise you to apply early and also prepare for IELTS or TOEFL. 

All the best. 

Gigeo Sakkaryas | IMTP Consultants
Ajay Sathyan Sathyan profile image Ajay Sathyan Sathyan Expert Join date: Feb, 2012 Posts: 414 Points: 6045 Trusted Advisor

Hi, there are different branches of Biology has subjects related to Botany, Biophysics, Ecology and Agriculture and Related Subjects courses. You have to select according to the subject of your interest.

Zoology is a branch of Biology,that studies animals.

Entomology – study  based on insects.

Ethology- comes under zoology and deals with behavioral adaptations of animals, specially in their natural or original dwelling places.

Anatomy - related to plant anatomy and animal anatomy, it involves studying the detailed structure, internal organs and the respective functions of an organism.

Cryobiology- is study of effects of extremely low temperature in living cells and organisms as a whole.

Cytology and Molecular Biology -  study about the cell along with its structure, function, parts and abnormalities.

Computer Science courses (Bioinformatics) - relates to genomic studies with the application of data processing, computational knowledge and statistical applications.

Mycology - study about modern-day taxonomy, fungi (singular fungus) is neither a plant nor an animal.

Biophysics - study of relation between organisms or living cells and electrical or mechanical energy.

Aquatic Biology - study of various species of animals, plants and micro-organisms. It incorporates the study of both freshwater and sea water organisms. Sometimes, aquatic biology is also referred to as limnology.

There are many different branches of genetics (Human Genetics courses) and each offers a unique batch of challenges and interesting subjects. Some geneticists go into agriculture and use their knowledge of genetics to try to increase crop yield and increase resistance to various diseases that commonly affect valuable crops. There are three major branches of genetics: classical genetics, molecular genetics and population/evolutionary genetics. 

(Physiology) Physiology (Human) courses is the science of the function of living systems. This includes how organisms, organ systems, organs, cells, and bio-molecules carry out the chemical or physical functions that exist in a living system.

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan | Uniguru

Add a quick reply to 'What is the suitable course for me?'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.