- MEET US >
- Chennai: +91 44 - 4399 5203
- Delhi: +91 11 4919 6900
- Toll free: 1-800-103-9634
Fulbright Nehru Scholarship
Posted by Antony Chacko | 09 Oct 2014
Apart from science and education, the Fulbright program also offers grants to students involved in disciplines like the performing arts, visual arts, mathematics and interdisciplinary courses.
In United States of America, the concept of community colleges is quite popular. This is where students complete their higher education before moving on to other colleges or universities for further academics. In cities like California, New York, Chicago they are referred to as City colleges as they are funded by the local municipality. The American Association of Community Colleges’ (AACC) annual convention brings together people from various parts of the world, introducing them to this concept and building relationships to help promote education across the globe.
This year, the event saw quite a few participants, some of who were the Indian education ministers. The main objective of this convention was to learn and obtain insight on the various community colleges across the USA. These colleges are believed to be the hub for skilled workforce and they aspire to open 100 colleges by 2017. The officials involved in this conference worked towards understanding the nuances of attracting students towards these community colleges and increase the number of transfers towards higher education system. In the USA, these community colleges are where students get affordable education. With the way things are in India, especially the economic situation, such a concept would work wonders for the country.
Over the past few years, the US has been working with India on giving the education system a boost, which is where the Fulbright Nehru Partnership comes in. The program provides grants to students and faculty, the number that has more than tripled in size since 2009 when Manmohan Singh and Obama increased the funding. The US state department has not made any changes in the visa processing, but are now more focused towards verifying the institutions. This will help validate the sponsorships being offered and help benefit the students who go abroad to study and gain knowledge.
There is also the Fulbright program that has made the dreams of almost 3,00,000 candidates who have been provided with the opportunity to either study or conduct research. The Fulbright foreign student program helps graduates to study or do research in the United Stated for a year or more. Annually close to 1,700 students are given scholarships and around 1,350 students renew their scholarship.
The scholarship is also available for students who want to pursue non-degree postgraduate studies. The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant and the International Fulbright Science and Technology Award are two popular components of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program. The former is for young teachers of English who want to take their teaching skills to the next level and the latter is for doctoral study in science, technology or engineering. The applications are processed by Fulbright foundations and U.S embassies. The scholarship helps students to choose any university or academic institution in the USA.
Fulbright gives grants to various disciplines apart from science and teaching. Some of them are performing arts, visual arts, mathematics and interdisciplinary courses. Fulbright program does not support medical students or clinical medical research but supports studies involving public health and global health.
The Fulbright program sponsors tuition fees, textbooks, airfare, health insurance and stipend for the living expenses during the course period. The citizenship requirements specified in the bi-national agreement should be met in order to apply for the scholarship. Applicant cannot be a citizen of a partner company of the USA. Completion of under graduation degree or a degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree is a must. Proficiency in English is mandatory. The deadline for the application for the scholarship program varies between February and December. Visit the Fulbright website for further information.
How to get an educational loan
Read more about How to find scholarships
- Scholarship schemes for students aspiring to study in Singapore
- Scholarships for Medicine in the U.S
- The K.C. Mahindra Scholarship
- Scholarships to Study in Malaysia
- Postgraduate Scholarships in Australia
- UK Commonwealth Scholarship Program for Indian Students
- Financial Assistance for Higher Education in the US
- Scholarships to Study in New Zealand
- A scholarship scheme for postgraduate courses in UK and Holland
- Financial Assistance for Higher Education in Australia
- Mechanical Engineering Scholarships in the USA
- Netherlands Fellowship- Application process and Program details
- Engineering scholarships in the UK
- Financial aid for Arts Students in the UK
- Scholarships galore for Indian students going abroad
- Top 5 scholarships for Indian students aspiring to study abroad
- Scholarships for Studying in Ireland
- What are the Funding Options to study in US?
- Financial Assistance for Higher Education in the UK
- Charles Wallace Scholarship Schemes for Arts & Humanities Courses
- New Zealand Commonwealth Program for Indian students
- MBA Scholarships for Indian students
- UK announces 60 scholarships for India
- Top 4 Methods To Study Abroad For Free
- Scholarship to Study in Sweden
- Scholarships for International Students to Study in US
- Scholarships to Study in Netherlands
- P.G. Scholarships for Indian Students Studying in the U.K
- Did you know that the US Govt can pay for your studies?
- Scholarships to Study in Sweden
- A 100% scholarship to study abroad - Is it really possible?
- UK announces scholarships worth INR 10 crores for Indian students
- How an international student ID card can help you save money
- Royal Society Fellowship to help Researchers
- Scholarships for international PhD students in the UK
- Scholarships for Studying in Hong Kong