We simplify the process of applying for a student visa to study in Germany for you. Once you read this article; you will get a clear idea of what you need to do and what you should not do when you submit an application to secure a German student visa.
Once your application is accepted by a German University and you have a letter of ‘Confirmation of Admission’ you are required to apply for the student visa. You should submit your application to the German Embassy or Consulate General office. In India, the Embassy is based out of New Delhi and Consulate General offices are based out of Bengaluru, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai.
Opening a blocked account
One key factor that determines the application approval and a grant of a student visa is for the applicant to open a ‘blocked account’. This is essentially a bank account in your name that indicates that you have enough funds to cover at least one year of your studies in Germany. The quickest way to open such an account is to visit your nearest Kotak Mahindra Bank and open the blocked account. The account is usually activated within 4 to 6 weeks; so it is very important that you plan your schedule carefully and initiate the opening of the account well in advance.
Documents to be submitted
Here is the list of documents that have to be submitted when applying for the student visa.
- Completed application form
- Valid Passport
- 2 photographs
- Letter of Admission
- Transcript of academic record
- Proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while living in Germany
- Declaration of authenticity of documents submitted
- You will also need to provide photocopies of all these documents, get proper insurance and pay a fee of 60 Euros for the visa.
The photographs need to meet specific requirements as mandated by the German Embassy. For more details on the application process and any other queries that you may have visit the page of the German Embassy in India.
German Missions in India
The contact numbers of the various missions in India are given below for your quick reference.
- Delhi – Embassy Office - (0091-11) 44199 199
- Bengaluru – Consular Office - +91-80-45 300 100
- Chennai Consular Office - 91-44-2430 1600
- Kolkata Consular Office - +91-(0)33-2479 1142/ 2439 8906
Tips to clear the visa interview
We have written a series of articles pertaining to the student visa and how you can secure the visa with ease. Here we reiterate some key points for your benefit:
- Be confident on the day of the interview and reach the venue at least 20 minutes before your allotted time.
- Carry all relevant documents and their copies as required. This includes any bills or identity cards that you would need to show.
- Handle all queries with a calm demeanour, be prepared to answer honestly and remember you should always focus on returning back to India after your studies. This is a key decider!
- Thank your visa officer at the end of the interview; remember they meet a number of people every day and being pleasant or thankful never hurts anyone!
Hallo zu Deutschland
Well that means “Hi to Germany” so get set to study in Germany. We have all bases covered and can help you with filing your applications and advising you in your course and university selection. Get in touch with us for quick and trustworthy guidance from experienced study abroad experts.