- MEET US >
- Chennai: +91 44 - 4399 5203
- Delhi: +91 11 4919 6900
- Toll free: 1-800-103-9634
Sample Statement of Purpose (SOP) For MBA aspirants
Posted by Antony Chacko | 05 Sep 2014
A Statement of Purpose is an essay describing your career and future goals. The SOP provides you an opportunity to showcase your interests and goals effectively to the University you are applying to.
A Statement of Purpose is an extensive and focused essay talking about one’s career and future goals. This is usually required for students who are applying to Universities, colleges and research studies. SOP’s usually narrate one’s purpose of studying that particular course, area of specialisation, future career goals, and achievements in the past and so on.
This personal statement provides an opportunity to showcase one's interests and goals effectively to the university; however, the importance of SOP does differ with Universities.
Below is a sample Statement of Purpose written by a student applying to a University.
“Knowledge comes by eyes always open and working hands, and there is no knowledge that is not power”. This statement characterizes my beliefs. Ever since I attended the first industrial visit during my sophomore year of engineering I have nurtured a dream of becoming a part of the top level management team of a firm.
Now, after two years of relevant experience in the field of procurement in Supply chain Management, the power of knowledge seems to call me out persuading me to seek more. The dream I nurtured during my graduation has grown with me and I hope the day of realization is not far off. To make this a reality I intend to pursue an M.B.A in strategy and procurement management at your esteemed University.
Soon after my graduation I set out to realize my dream by joining Olympic Cards Private Limited as a procurement engineer. After a year of experience I joined a top electronic manufacturing company (Foxconn International Holdings) in order to attain global experience. The company trained me in global procurement and appointed me as a team leader for the procurement team at Foxconn India Private Limited which I consider as one of the biggest achievement so far in my life.
Early in my life, at the high school level, I learnt the value of hard work and perseverance. This led me to secure 90% in my higher secondary examination. Later this served as a foundation for my studies in electronics and communication at B.S.A Crescent Engineering College which ranks as one of the top accredited engineering college affiliated to Anna University in the state of Tamilnadu (South India).
Besides this academic achievement I am an active musician and my passion for music has helped me to further understand the importance of hard work and perseverance required to excel. I was elected as the secretary of the college music association in the year 2004 and I performed at a number of prestigious venues around the city.
As a part of my work experience I have gained knowledge in the following fields,
- Strategic development of suppliers
- Analyzing and negotiation of the quotation
- Management of contracts and agreements with suppliers
- Supplier performance evaluation
- Different kinds of P.O disposition
- Debit note and Credit note
- Inventory Control
- Documentation for the procurement department for TL9000
- Part of internal quality and on-site supplier auditing team
- Key user for SAP R/3 Material Management Module
This had provided me with a firm grasp of concepts and a launching pad to embark upon a voyage of knowledge in procurement. My study of these fields has also served to further fuel my ambition and deepen my interest in the field of strategy and procurement management.
I got some very interesting information about my field of study by browsing your website and this has driven me to apply for the M.B.A (Strategy and procurement management) course offered at your prestigious University.
The eight modules of the M.B.A program which include the Strategic Management, Organization & Resource Management, Strategic Marketing, Financial Management, Operations Management, International & Risk Management, Power Regimes & Supply Chain Management, Business Strategy and Procurement competence will help me improve my cognizance in the field of procurement and I believe that studying at your university will give me the means to achieve my goals and realize my dreams. I therefore make an earnest request to consider my application for admission.
How to get a Letter of Recommendation
Read more about How to write a Statement of Purpose
- Writing an SOP for Higher Studies in Technical Subjects
- Why you should care about English grammar when writing an SOP
- Format and Ideal Word Limit for an SOP
- Tips for writing an effective SOP
- How to write an SOP that will make you stand out from crowd
- What do International Officers Expect from a Student's SOP
- Sample Statement of Purpose for MS Study Aspirants
- Statement of Purpose - Do's and dont's
- Why the SOP is an important part of the application process
- Points to Keep in Mind While Preparing a Statement of Purpose
- Sample SOPs For Engineering Grad Schools
- Sample Statements of Purpose - For Medical Studies