The IELTS is conducted to assess your English Language skills for admissions at universities and colleges abroad. It is an important prerequisite like other admission procedures so it should not be taken lightly.
Practise more to get accustomed to different question patterns, not to mention the IELTS Practice Test offered by Hotcourses India, so that you are well prepared on the test day.
Before we walk you through the last minute tips, please learn about the 10 tips to prepare yourself for the IELTS and 15 things to consider when preparing for the IELTS.
Last minute tips
Key points to remember before appearing for the IELTS:
- Make sure you take enough rest and eat well before the test because there are no intervals between the tests. You need to have energy and presence of mind while writing the test.
- Try to listen to good English news channels, if possible, once you wake up in the morning of the test day.
- Arrive at the test centre early. Make sure you know the location of your test centre and how much time it will take you to reach there. Avoid being late and failing to attend the test.
- Carry a bottle of water with you in the test room, if it is permissible, because it is important to keep yourself hydrated.
- Please do not carry your phones and create some unwanted situations.
- Do not forget to carry your Identity Proofs – talk to the admin department at the test centre to know what ID proofs you need to carry on the day of the test.
- Stationeries like pen, pencil, eraser, etc. should be carried without fail.
- Please listen to the instructions carefully before you start your test.
- Make sure you know where the clock is in the room so that you can time yourself for the test.
- Do not talk too much (or talk at all) or try to take advice from anyone around. If you focus on the questions in hand and try to figure out the exact answers yourself, you will feel more confident.
- If you need to go to the washroom during the test, please raise your hand and let the supervisor know what you want.
Remember to do the following during the test
Important reminders while you are inside the examination hall:
- If your headphones are not working during the listening test, make sure you address the problem to your supervisor.
- If you have any questions, please raise your hand and address to the supervisor what exactly you want.
- Remember to jot down some of the points while listening to audios during the listening test, since the audios are played only once.
- You should read all questions thoroughly before you begin your test.
- Do not overspend time on one question, if you are unable to figure out the answer.
- Make sure you speak well and use big sentences to reply during the speaking test.
What you should not do during the test!
- Considering the IELTS is an international test, please try to respect it and avoid cheating or asking questions around.
- Do not use any learning aid like a dictionary, pager or spell checker. Nothing is allowed to help you during the test, except you!
- Borrowing or lending things are not allowed so please carry your own things.
- You are not allowed to eat during the test.
- You are not allowed to leave the room without your supervisor’s permission.
- You are not allowed to carry any question papers or working sheets along with you once you complete your test.
- Do not indulge in any discussions with anyone, even if your friend is in the same room.
All the best for your next IELTS test! Keep practising more. It doesn’t matter if you find it difficult to clear IELTS in one shot. If you stay optimistic about your plans, things will come to you easily. Call our advisors for more questions and get trained by our IELTS expert.