TOEFL, though it comes in two formats (paper-based and internet based), is offered in India in the iBT form. Take your time to explore the TOEFL inside out so that you know very well what to expect on the big day.
- Ensure that you take up numerous mock tests to increase your practice. In case you are going for TOEFL classes, this will be taken care of. If you are preparing by yourself, download mock tests for you to take and get hold of all key study materials. Don’t confine your study to just one book, it’s always better to invest generously in a few more books for a better score.
- TOEFL is all about language but not business related vocabulary. Reading up on encyclopedias, research articles, and such would really help improve their language from the TOEFL angle. Subject related information present in them won’t be necessary but the kind of vocabulary and language used in academic text will prepare you well for the TOEFL.
- The TOEFL test may drain you with its four and a half hour time slot, so make sure you prepare yourself to increase your attention span. The normal time for which students can concentrate is generally said to be about two hours. Practice with numerous short study sessions leading to longer ones, to increase your attention span and not feel too exhausted to complete the test. When you get to the hard questions, refrain from spending too much time on them. Make sure you have time to complete and run a quick check on your essay as well.
- Many a times, you will find yourself asking -questions that no online resource or book can answer. This is why it’s crucial that you rely on a skilled English teacher (a native speaker if possible) to offer you the kind of guidance you require. If this isn’t a possibility for you, at least interact with former TOEFL test takers for some useful tips.
- When you prepare for your listening section, try not to play the CD more than once as this is how it will be in the final test. For the speaking section, prepare to fill up as much of the time given to you as possible with your response. In case you end up with some extra time, train yourself to be able to give out a quick conclusion.