Founded in 1889, State University of New York College at Plattsburgh is home to students from more than 60 countries. SUNY Plattsburgh provides an academically challenging, friendly environment, where faculty and staff help you realize your ultimate potential. With a student body of approximately 6,500 students, the College is a medium-sized institution with a 16:1 student to faculty ratio and small classes with an average of 21 students, ensuring individual attention.
SUNY Plattsburgh ranked #1 in the United States and #2 in the world for overall satisfaction according to results on the International Student Barometer (ISB), the world’s largest international student satisfaction survey. In addition, it has been ranked among “America’s Best Colleges” by U.S. News & World Report for the last seven years.
With a strong foundation in the liberal arts, the College’s programs have been accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Internships, work experiences and study abroad programs offer students exciting opportunities throughout their college careers. SUNY Plattsburgh strives to equip its students with an educational experience, which leads to rewarding and successful careers.
Set in one of the world's most spectacular regions – the Champlain Valley – Plattsburgh State's campus environment contributes substantially to student and faculty well-being. Considered both beautiful and safe, the College’s campus abounds with art and is a pleasure to stroll in and reside.
The Top Ten Reasons Why SUNY Plattsburgh is the place for international students
1) Diversity. Nearly 400 international students come here from more than 65 different countries.
2) Hands-on learning. Internship and practical experience will prepare you for the real world after graduation.
3) We make connections. More than 55 alumni and student networking events are hosted each year. The Global Education Office is like a second home to visiting international alumni.
4) Vibrant campus life. We have over 100 clubs and organizations, 17 Division III NCAA athletic teams, and many more informal sports you can participate in.
5) Academic support. Free walk-in tutoring is available for 150 courses through the Learning Center, located in the middle of campus.
6) Quality at an affordable price. We offer scholarships to help every international student. The average international student award covers between 10-35% of the total cost of attendance.
7) High achievers. We have an impressive Honors Program, 30 honor societies, and 27 centers and institutions that accelerate a wide range of majors.
8) American culture. We encourage integration of international life with the Plattsburgh community. Programs such as PICL offer a cultural, learning and authentic friendship experience for local families and international students.
9) Preparation. Our ESL bridge program makes the transition to American college life easy by helping students improve their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
10) Discover for yourself. Imagine what the Plattsburgh experience will offer you! Endless opportunities, a beautiful location and life time friendships. What will you accomplish?