Founded in 1889, State University of New York College (SUNY) at Plattsburgh is a medium-sized, public, accredited institution in New York State. As a comprehensive college with an enrollment of over 5300 students, Plattsburgh offers more than 60 majors. In addition, we also offer an English Bridge Program to help students improve their academic English skills as a complement to and support for the courses required for degree completion.
SUNY Plattsburgh enrolls more than 300 international students from more than 70 countries making it one of the most globally diverse campuses within the 64-campus SUNY system. Our students enjoy living and learning experiences like those at many private colleges: excellent career development services, low student-faculty ratio, small classes, and instruction by faculty, not graduate students. With many opportunities for undergraduate research and hands-on learning, our graduates leave here well-prepared for employment or further study.
With a strong foundation in the liberal arts, the College’s programs have been accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. SUNY Plattsburgh provides an academically challenging, friendly environment, where faculty and staff help you realize your ultimate potential. Internships, work experiences and study abroad programs offer students exciting opportunities throughout their college careers. SUNY Plattsburgh strives to equip its students with real-world experiential learning opportunities to complement their academic experience, which prepares them for rewarding and successful careers.
With all this to offer, it is no surprise that SUNY Plattsburgh is listed among the top schools in "America's Best Colleges" by U.S. News & World Report. We provide a top-quality education and generous scholarships awarded to all international students, and we are proud to be recognized as a “Best College Value” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine.
Plattsburgh is surrounded by the pristine, natural beauty of northern New York State, 100 km south of Montreal, Canada. Plattsburgh has been rated the second-best micro-city in the United States. Located on Lake Champlain in the northeast corner of New York State, “The Lake City” is a cultural crossroads. You can get a taste for the city’s budding arts and music scenes at the North Country Cultural Center for the Arts, historic Strand Theater and the coffee shops and galleries downtown. Sample Greek, Himalayan, Japanese, Italian and North Country cuisine, or find a wide variety of American chain restaurants (think “McDonalds”) uptown.
Considered both beautiful and safe, the College’s campus abounds with art and is a pleasure to stroll in and reside.
The Top Ten Reasons Why SUNY Plattsburgh is the place for international students
1) Diversity. Over 300 international students come here from the globe-over
2) Hands-on learning. Internship and practical experience will prepare you for the real world after graduation.
3) We make connections. Numerous alumni and student networking events are hosted each year. The Global Education Office is like a second home to visiting international alumni.
4) Vibrant campus life. We have over 100 clubs and organizations, 17 Division III NCAA athletic teams, and many more informal sports you can participate in.
5) Academic Support. Free walk-in tutoring is available through the Learning Center, located in the middle of campus.
6) Quality at an affordable price. We offer scholarships to help every international student. The average international student award covers between 10-35% of the total cost of attendance.
7) High achievers. We have an impressive Honors Program, 30 honor societies, and 27 centers and institutions that accelerate a wide range of majors.
8) American culture. We encourage integration of international life with the Plattsburgh community. Programs such as PICL offer a cultural, learning and authentic friendship experience for local families and international students.
9) Preparation. Our ESL bridge program makes the transition to American college life easy by helping students improve their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
10) Discover for yourself. Imagine what the Plattsburgh experience will offer you! Endless opportunities, a beautiful location and life time friendships. What will you accomplish?