OUR GUIDE TO FUNDING OPTIONS AND SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILBLE TO FOREIGN STUDENTS IN SINGAPORE
We shall start off with Singapore’s Ministry of Education (or MOE), which manages 10 statutory boards including Singapore Institute of Technology and Nanyang Polytechnic. It runs various funding schemes on all study levels and you can discover the programmes available on the MOE scholarships webpage. The webpage also offers links to other scholarships categorized by subject area, study level, host university and external funding bodies.
Additionally, several higher education institutions provide scholarships catered to the needs of their own study programmes, which you can find out more from your host’s website.
With regards to external funding from companies, you will usually be expected to participate in a ‘Bond Agreement’, tying in the obligation to work for the company after you graduate for a limited duration, called a ‘Bond Period’. You will have to pay back the ‘Liquidated Damages’ incurred should you break this bond agreement; compensating the amount you have cost the company. This value is hypothetically based on how much you would have made while working for them.
The nation’s four main universities, which includes National University of Singapore, Singapore Management University, Nanyang Technological University and Singapore University of Technology and Design, provide externally-offered programmes for their students, which may be relevant to you.
Scholars4Dev, Bright Sparks, this list of external scholarship providers and available scholarships from the Singapore Scholarship guide, and our scholarships page will also give you many funding options to apply from.
SCHOLARSHIPS TO CONSIDER
1. NATSTEEL STUDY AWARDS
- NatSteel, a Pan-Asian company providing reinforced steel products and solutions to the constructions industry, works on various national construction projects and manages industrial ties across the region
- Amount funded will cover full tuition fees with an annual allowance of SG$8,000
- The company also has affiliations with the UK, Netherlands, China and Australia
- Applicable to students about to start Undergraduate studies in Accounting, most Engineering areas (or if you plan to take a double degree with one discipline as Engineering) and Operations Management Discipline at any of the four universities in Singapore
- Involves a bond period of one year for each academic year supported, and a minimum of three years is required
- UK ‘A’ Levels or equivalent, an International Baccalaureate, exceptional co-curricular record and passion for community work will be considered
- You can apply by registering with Bright Sparks through their website two weeks after the ‘A’ Level results are announced
2. CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY OF SINGAPORE (CAAS) LOCAL UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
- Applicable to Undergraduate students in all areas of study except Medicine and Dentistry
- Covers all tuition and university fees, accommodation subsidy if you are living in a student hostel and living costs allowance
- Students are expected to shape strategies and policies for Singapore’s aviation industry through their specific area of study
- International Baccalaureate, high ‘O’ and ‘A’ Level results or equivalent grades with proof will be considered
- Involves a 4-year bond period, with student who finished their first year of undergraduate studies receiving a pro-rated arrangement
- Internship with CAAS will be tied in as a necessity
- Apply for this scholarship online through registering with Bright Sparks
3. MOE TUITION GRANT
- Despite not covering full tuition costs or living allowances, you are more likely to succeed in applying for this as compared to most company-specific funding schemes
- This means you will have to pay for a subsidized tuition fee
- Involves a 3-year bond agreement for international students
- Applicable to students in full-time Undergraduate or Diploma courses in any field of study
- Apply only after acceptance into a Singapore university, which is followed with the signing of an official declaration to work in Singapore after graduation
- Apply online through the Ministry of Education website
- You are required to have a surety, who is someone who will pay back the value of the award if you do not complete your study programme or decide not to follow through with the bond
- Your surety will have to sign the agreement in the presence of a notary public such as a lawyer or public officer if he/she is in your home country
- After which, the agreement has to be brought to a venue stated by your host university and signed in the presence of an MOE official
- You can retrieve a detailed flowchart of the MOE Tuition Grant from Nanyang Technological University online
More useful information on the Singapore education system:
Start browsing courses in Singapore now
Tuition Fees in Singapore
Applying to Study in Singapore