Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.

What will I learn?

Are you interested in health sciences and healthcare research? Do you want to pursue an academic career? And do you have a specific interest in evidence-based care? Then the research master's in Health Sciences could be just the programme for you. During this 2-year programme, you'll be trained to design, conduct and evaluate top-quality interdisciplinary research. The programme covers broad range of subjects, from prevention of illness, diagnosis and care, to cure and maintenance of good health. Upon graduation, you'll have all the skills needed to continue a career as a PhD or professional researcher.

The healthcare chain stretches from prevention of illness, diagnosis and care, to cure and maintenance of good health. And with ever-closer integration in the EU, and its expanding connections with international trends, it is starting to cross national borders as well. To implement evidence-based medical and public health practices, we need to study the efficacy and cost effectiveness of interventions on a local as well as a global scale.

The opportunities and need for research within this new healthcare dynamic are endless. The instructors of the Research Master in Health Sciences are educating a new generation of healthcare researchers to be on the cutting-edge of healthcare innovation. Their goal: help you become an excellent health science researcher.

The core discipline within the programme is Epidemiology. Epidemiology is the science that studies the occurrence of diseases in human populations and its determining factors. In our programme you will study epidemiology in all its different facets: calculating disease trends and probabilities, communicating findings to the public and policy makers, and designing and implementing interventions based on data. On completion of this programme, you are eligible for registration as Epidemiologist A (Dutch registration system).

Other disciplines involve knowledge on:

  • Health Technology Assessment, which emphasises the form, function and implementation of health technology innovations and the organisation and financing of healthcare systems.
  • Advanced statistics, emphasising the concepts underlying the statistical techniques used in quantitative research, and the interpretation of the results.

Your future

After graduation, you typically have a strong research CV, with one or two publications under your belt. Around 80% of our graduates go on to become PhDs. The remaining 20% work in research-oriented jobs.

Which department am I in?

Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences

Study options

Full Time (2 Years)

Tuition fees
€16,800.00 (13,57,027) per year
Statutory fee for this programme is € 2,083
Start date

Expected September 2022

Venue

Maastricht University

Minderbroedersberg 4-6,

MAASTRICHT,

Limburg,

6211, Netherlands

Entry requirements

For students from United States

Applicants must have eligible for admission if you have a bachelor's degree from a relevant academic field, for example, philosophy or sociology. English language requirements: IELTS (6.5); TOEFL Paper-based test (575); TOEFL Internet test (90); TOEIC listening and reading (720) and speaking and writing (310); Cambridge [Advanced (CAE) Grade C (scale 180-184), First Certificate in English (FCE) Grade A (scale 180-184), First Certificate in English (FCE) Grade B (scale 176-179)].

For international students

You may be directly admissible to the master’s programme in Health Sciences if you have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a

  • University programme in a relevant domain. You need an average of grade 7 or higher from your bachelor’s degree.
  • Candidates with a relevant bachelor's degree from a Dutch university are directly admissible
  • Candidates with a relevant bachelor's degree from an EEA university may be asked to pass a GRE test in case of doubt
  • Candidates with a relevant bachelor's degree from a non-EEA university always need to pass a GRE test (see below)
  • Candidates with a relevant university master's degree are directly admissible

IELTS test: minimum score overall 6.5

TOEFL test: overall, internet-based minimum score 90

Cambridge: CAE, grade C

ADD TO MY FAVOURITES

Get in touch