One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
Phd. Management that to in Tourism field.
Rakesh Mishra profile image Rakesh Mishra Member Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 1 Points: 0
I want to do Phd. Management in Tourism. Can you suggest me some good Universities in abroad, with scholarship details. I also want to know about my stay in abroad during studies.
  • March 14, 2012
  • Preferred study destination: United Kingdom

Replies (3)

Anirban Sircar profile image Anirban Sircar Member Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 3 Points: 45 Trusted Advisor

Hi there,

Do you have a country of preference? 

Anirban Sircar | APS Consultancy Services
Ajay Sathyan Sathyan profile image Ajay Sathyan Sathyan Expert Join date: Feb, 2012 Posts: 414 Points: 6050 Trusted Advisor

Hi Rakesh,

This field is a  vast, dynamic and growing industry, hospitality and tourism provides tremendous opportunity for ambitious students who enjoy working with people.  According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, travel and tourism accounts for the highest potential for growth of any industry. You have good scope in UK , USA and Australia, for the courses like Management Tourism research, International Sustainable Tourism Mangement, Tourism Hospitality Management etc.
In Uk, you have universities like Plymouth University, Univeristy of Chester, Bournemouth University, Anglia Ruskin University, University of Surrey, etc.
In USA, you have universities like University of  West Virginia, St Cloud State UniversityUniverity of Texas at San Antanio, University of Florida , Purdue University, University of Massachusetts Amherst etc.
In Australia, you have universities  like Victoria Univeristy, Edith Cowan University, Latrobe University, Griffifth University etc.

Ajay Sathyan Sathyan | Uniguru
Gigeo Sakkaryas Gigeo Sakkaryas Expert Join date: Mar, 2012 Posts: 685 Points: 9957 Trusted Advisor

Hi Rakesh, Not many students do Phd Courses in Tourism. One of the many reasons for that is Tourism and Hospitality is a Highly sought after course and students end up working after their UG and PG course. Plus Phd courses in general requires you to commit about 3 to 5 years to complete the course.

To do a Phd you need to have a Research Proposal about what kind of research you want to do,  what kind of Methodology you want to adopt, the expected research finding, etc and send it to the specific departments of Hospitality departments of Colleges or Universities. You can find the email ID's of the professors and send them the proposal. Some professors might not find it interesting and a few might might email you back with clarifications. 

Once a professor accepts your research proposal, then ask if there is funding available for your education. If so apply for admission and funding. Once your admission is confirmed, do apply for visa. In general you need to commit about 3 to 5 years. 

But my suggestion will be to also look for alternate courses like a Diploma or P.G.Diploma in countries like New Zealand or Singapore which offers jobs straight after you finish the course and also stand a chance of applying for PR later. 

Gigeo Sakkaryas | IMTP Consultants

Add a quick reply to 'Phd. Management that to in Tourism field.'

Send me an email after each new answer/comment

Make sure your answer/comment follows the community guidelines.