ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
Finland: Visa Guides - Must read

Applying for a student visa in Finland

Find out everything you need to know about getting a visa to study in Finland.

share image

There’s a lot to explore in Finland, making it a great study abroad destination. If you’ve got your sights set on studying in a country where there are enough saunas for the entire population, it’s important to understand the different types of visas and the process of applying for them.


If you’re an EU/EEU student…

You won’t need a visa or residence permit to study in Finland, however you should register your residence with Mirgri, which is the Finnish Immigration Service, if your stay exceeds 90 days. If your stay is expected to exceed a year, then you’ll need to register with the Finnish Population System, which is a computerised national register.


If you’re a Nordic citizen…

The same conditions for EU/EEU students apply for Nordic citizens, however you will need to register your residency with the local registry office if your stay exceeds six months. Similarly, if your stay exceeds a year, then you’ll be required to register this with the Finnish Population System.


If you’re a non-EU/EEA citizen…

You will need to apply for a visa or student residency permit. Which one you apply for is dependent on the length of your stay.

For short stays

Short term entry is for 90 days or less and this will require a visa dependent on your nationality. Finland has visa-waiving agreements with some countries, so it’s worth checking this to confirm whether or not you need a visa. Short term entry permits for Finland are particularly useful if you’re taking an entrance exam or if you are involved in a course/exchange that lasts less than 90 days.


Student Residence Permit

Student exchange periods that exceed three months, or admittance to a full degree programme will require a student residence permit. In order to gain one of these you will need to have a valid passport and an admission letter from either a UAS or a Finnish university. Funding is vital so you will also be required to have suitable means of funding for your studies and valid insurance.


Though the start of the application process for a student residence permit can be done online, you may need to visit a Finnish embassy. For students residing in certain countries that do not have a Finnish embassy, this will mean travelling abroad.


This permit is usually granted for one year at a time. Before your permit expires, you will need to apply for an extension from Migri.


It’s also worth noting that when you apply for an extended permit when your initial permit is about to expire, you must be in Finland when submitting your application. According to the Migri website, ‘If you submit your application abroad, your application will be processed as an application for a first residence permit and the application will be subject to a processing fee for a first permit.’


Start your study abroad search here and see what Finland can offer you.