ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
Hong Kong: Career Prospects

Finding a graduate career in Hong Kong for Malaysians

work in HK

A global hub of finance, trade, international relations and culture, thousands of graduates seek job prospects in Hong Kong every year. There are plenty of job opportunities for international students who wish to stay on after finishing their studies and embark on their careers. If you’re thinking of studying in Hong Kong and aren’t sure what to expect when you graduate, let our guide help you in finding a career in the country.

Can I stay in Hong Kong?

You will need to apply to the Immigration Department to be considered under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-Local Graduates (IANG). If you submit an application within six months of graduating, you are considered a non-local fresh graduate and will not need to already have secured employment at the time you apply. You will be allowed to stay in Hong Kong for up to 12 months under this scheme.

If you apply over six months after graduating, even if you are no longer in Hong Kong, you will be considered a non-local graduate. In this case, you will need to have been offered employment in Hong Kong before you apply. The job needs to be one at an appropriate graduate level with remuneration set at market level. No matter how many times you enter or leave Hong Kong within the course of your life, if you hold a Hong Kong degree qualification you may apply to be considered under IANG as many times as you like.

To apply, you will need to complete the Form ID 990A and gather other required documents and post them directly to the Immigration Department office. You can check the specific application guidelines and advice here.

After you complete your study programme, you will have four weeks to leave Hong Kong. You can apply to be considered for IANG from your home country, or apply within these four weeks. You can also apply for IANG just before you graduate. To do this, you will need to apply to your host university for a Letter of Certification, and include it as a supporting document in your application to the Immigration Department.

What’s the graduate job market like?

Thousands flock to Hong Kong each year in search for better career prospects. Home to one of the world’s freest economies, Hong Kong is a key financial and international centre of trade. Graduates in fields of Finance, Banking and IT are particularly in demand while skills and knowledge in areas of Law and Accounting are strongly favoured. The job market is widely accessible to English speakers and students who have basic conversational Cantonese will be at an advantage. Mandarin is used in some business communication, but may also be useful depending on your area of expertise.

How can I find a job?

You can search for jobs through job boards, newspaper vacancies, through networking made in university or career fairs. Your university will most likely run some kind of student service that will point you in the right direction. Alternatively, get to know the sector you’re looking to enter before you start applying. Publications such as the Wall Street Journal Asia, South China Morning Post and the Standard will help you brush up on the current state of affairs, as well as offer specific insight into businesses, finance and economics news. Read up on specific industry statistics on the HK Economy page of the Hong Kong Trade Development Council website. You can also search for a job online using search engines such as jobsDB and Monster HK.

Can my university help?

Your university will most definitely be able to help you in some way. Whether it’s through a placement service, job board or by giving you a recommendation, take advantage of all the resources available. Ask for advice on preparing a good CV and get clued up with interview techniques.

Now that you’ve got a better idea of your post-study career options, why not browse for courses in Hong Kong now?

Search for a course

Hong Kong