ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country
The basics
Italy: Applying to University - Must read

How to apply to an Italian university

Not sure how to begin applying to study abroad at an Italian university? Here’s how to get started...

share image

The first step in applying to an Italian university is finding a programme that interests you!


After you have found a programme, contact the international office of your chosen universities in order to make sure you are eligible to study in Italy and are aware of the necessary requirements.


Questions for your Institution’s International Office

  • What date is my application due?
  • What documents do I need?
  • Do my documents need to be translated into Italian?
  • Where can I get my documents translated into Italian?
  • Which pre-enrolment form is required for this programme and where can I find the current form?
  • How will you inform me of my acceptance?


Types of Enrolment

Enrolment in higher education is regulated by the Italian Ministry of University and Research, which exists within the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In Italy, there are three cycles of study: first cycle means undergraduate degree, second cycle means masters degree, and third cycle means PhD or equivalent degree. There are different types of applications in each of these three cycles. There are also different processes depending on whether or not you live in the European Union.


How to Apply


EU Nationals

Students that are nationals in countries belonging to the European Union should apply directly to the University and will be considered in the same way the University considers Italian students.


Non-EU Nationals

Students that live outside of the European Union have a longer process. If you live outside of the European Union, you will be required to apply through your country’s Italian Embassy or Consulate.


Here’s how to apply:

1. Contact the university’s international office to check eligibility and university specific requirements for entrance.

2. After speaking with someone at your university, you are required to submit a pre-application request and submit it to your country's Italian Consulate or Embassy. Your pre-application request for an undergraduate programme will contain the following documents:

  • A completed Dichiarazione di Valoro in Loco (DV) or a Letter of Academic Eligibility and Suitability
  • A correct, completed pre-enrolment form. These forms are specific to the type of programme or university you are applying to (i.e. dance school, music school, medical school, etc.) and you should ask your chosen university which form you are required to fill out.
  • Two passport-sized photographs, one of which may need to be signed by you
  • You may need additional documents proving certification in certain levels of degrees in order to gain acceptance into your programme. Please check with your university to make sure you have all necessary documents.
  • Depending on the programme, you may also be required to prove competency in Italian in order to be accepted. Again, please check with your programme for necessary requirements.

All documents submitted to your nearest Italian Consulate or Embassy need to be translated into Italian and certified by an authorised source.


3. After submitting the pre-application to your Italian Embassy or Consulate, they will submit your materials to the institution you are interested in. Please ask your desired institution how they will release information of acceptance.


When to Apply

April to May – contact your Italian consulate or embassy to request a Dichiarazione di Valoro in Loco (DV) (Letter of Academic Eligibility and Suitability) and sent in the pre-application for your programme.

August – applicants notified of admission to a programme and informed of dates for the Italian language examination and any additional exams.

September – Italian language exams and additional exams held.



Students also have the opportunity to apply to Italian Higher Education institutions through the Erasmus programme. This is an exchange programme, and allows students to study anywhere from 3 to 12 months depending on your programme.

For more information, and to see which Italian universities are accepting Erasmus applications, please visit the Erasmus website.


Helpful Websites: