ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
THE Netherlands: Visa Guides

Netherlands student visa for Singaporeans

Our guide on how to get a student visa in the Netherlands for students from Singapore.

Study in Netherlands

If you are planning to study in the Netherlands for more than 3 months, your educational institution will have to organize an entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) for you. The cost is 304 Euros for both visa and permit for international students, and an extension would cost 152 Euros.


Once the visa and permit are ready, you will need to collect them from the nearest Dutch embassy. Your institution will also advise when and where to collect them. If you are Singaporean, the location for collection would probably be the Netherlands Embassy in Singapore, located at 541 Orchard Road, #13-01, Liat Towers.


Although the process could take just 2 weeks, it is recommended to get them in progress as early as possible, in case of unexpected delays. The permit is only valid for as long as your programme of study, but you will have to achieve at least 50% of the credits.


In order to study in Netherlands, you will have to ensure that you are able to show that you have at least 833.22 Euros a month. You will also need to obtain health insurance that covers for your entire duration of study.


If you intend to stay on in the Netherlands, you will have to change your type of permit with the local IND office. If you decide to stay on in the country after graduation, you could apply for a non-renewable orientation year visa (also known as ‘Searchyear’ or zoekjaar), which will give you 1 year from the date of your graduation to look for a suitable job related to your degree.  This should ideally be applied for before your graduation, so there would be no gaps in your visa.


As part of the conditions, your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree would also have to come from an NVAO-approved Dutch institution and there is a payment of 600 Euros for the application. To apply for the extension visas, you will have to contact the nearest IND desk and could apply either in person or by post.


Search for a course