ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
Sweden: Student Finances - Must read

Funding your studies in Sweden

Our tips to help you fund your studies whilst being a student in Sweden.

share image

You’ll need sufficient funds to support yourself while in Sweden. It’s a fairly expensive country, although a student card will get you a few discounts on tickets and travel. You may need as much as SEK 7,000 for a month’s food, accommodation, travel and living costs in Sweden’s main cities.


The Swedish Migration Board will want to see evidence that you have at least SEK 7,300 a month for ten months of the year. You’ll need this amount when you apply for your residence permit, if you’re required to apply for one. Lots of students choosing Sweden as a study destination have to find funding from private sources.



Over 500 scholarships are offered by The Swedish Institute every year and are open to students and researchers, although competition can be fierce. Most of the English-language scholarships are for master’s level or research students.


Working while you study

If you’re enrolled on a course in Sweden you can work part-time alongside your studies, although students with no Swedish language skills may find it tougher to secure work than those who can speak the language.


EEA and EU citizens are allowed to work in Sweden without a work and residence permit, but if you’re not from one of these countries you’ll need a permit.