ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
THE UK: Visa Guides

DON’T PANIC! What to do if I lose my passport/visa?

share image

What to do if I lose my passport/visa?


If you are a Malaysian student in the UK:

File a report at the nearest police station.

Make a trip to the High Commission and bring along a copy of the lost/stolen passport, Visa, Mykad or Birth Certificate if any.  Back up with the relevant supporting documents, which include:

  1. Proof of currently studying at a university/college (e.g.: Cover letter signed by a managerial/human resource/administrative personnel of the university).
  2. Government sponsored students are required to present a confirmation letter issued by their sponsors (e.g.: PETRONAS or Bank Negara).
  3. Download online, complete and print out the lost passport application forms (IM.42 & IM.42c).
  4. Two most recent passport photographs.


No booking or appointment is necessary (queue number system) and the standard processing time is within five (5) working days.

For damaged passports, although a police report is not required, it is best to bring your damaged passport to the High Commission in order to evaluate whether a replacement passport is necessary as certain airlines may refuse passengers with a damaged passport.

For more information, you may also visit: www.jimlondon.net


If you are outside of UK:

First, make a police report. Obtain a new passport via the Embassy or High Commission in the country and make a new Tier 4 entry clearance application, where a full fee of £289 is applicable. At times, the Entry Clearance Officer may ask to see evidence of continuing studies (e.g.: a letter from the University/College they are attending) hence, it is best to prepare your documents.

If you were holding a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), immediately email BRPLost@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk with the following details:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Nationality
  • Passport number
  • Biometric Residence Permit reference number
  • Case reference number
  • Contact details
  • When, Where and How the permit  was lost, stolen or damaged
  • Police report reference number


A new entry clearance sticker or a new single-use/temporary BRP will be issued in order for you to travel back to the UK. When back in the UK, you are required to apply for a new BRP within 1 month of your return.

For more information, visit http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk

Study in the UK


'Study in the UK' eBook

Enjoy what you’ve read? We’ve condensed the above popular topics about studying in the UK into one handy digital book.

Get your eBook