ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
THE USA: Visa Guides

Canadian students applying for an American student visa

Practical advice for Canadian students travelling to the US

share image

The US offers a vast range of prestigious and exciting institutions, with each state offering a culture of its own. Along with such exceptional diversity, you are faced with endless cuisines, traditions, histories and experiences. With all of these to choose from, we decided to make the process easier for you by breaking down the essential process of researching what visa you will need, so that you can focus on the exciting stuff. Thanks to Canada’s status as neighbour to the US, though, it’s much simpler than you might expect.

Do I need a visa?

While most international students applying to study in America need a US student visa, Canadian students do not. You will, however, have to ensure that you meet certain regulations in order that you may enter the country with the same ‘F-1’ status as other international students. This status essentially means that you are not a visitor, but there to with the intention to study.

What documents will I need?

You will need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. This can be done by contacting them directly, and can be researched via individual institution websites. When you receive this certificate, you will also be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system used by US universities. Then, you will be assigned your own unique SEVIS number and be required to pay a registration fee.

When you cross the border to the US, then, you will need to provide the Officer with:

  • A Canadian passport or other acceptable proof of identity and citizenship
  • The original I-20 (or DS 2019) certificate
  • Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee
  • Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend (e.g. – documents certifying household income, a scholarship award notification, etc.)
  • Proof of your ties to Canada (a letter from a bank or employer, a pay-slip, etc.)

Ensuring that you have all of these documents prepared for your crossing will take no time at all, but having them organised in advance will save you from facing further delays or complications on the day.

When can I go to the US?

The US operates a 30-day policy, meaning that you will not be granted access to the country until 30 days prior to the beginning of your course.

How much will it cost?

As mentioned, you will be required to pay a one-off SEVIS registration fee. For this, you will be classed as applying for an F-1 visa (even though you are exempt). The full cost of this is $200.00 and further information on the fee can be found here.

Much simpler than a traditional visa application, the process of gaining the equivalent of a US student visa is relatively complication-free for Canadian students.

Study in the USA


'Study in the USA' eBook

Enjoy what you’ve read? We’ve condensed the above popular topics about studying in the USA into one handy digital book.

Get your eBook

Must read

article Img

How to apply for a post-study visa in the USA

If you are an international student in the USA and are nearing the end of your course, you may find yourself asking the question – what next? The country has an excellent higher education system and is a good country to live in, but its strict immigration laws can be difficult to understand. We are here to help you. In this article, we explore the post-study visa options in the USA and the application process.   What is Optional Practical Training?

article Img

Student Insights: Post-study visa options in America

Part of the process of evaluating the potential of an overseas study destination is taking into account what sort of career opportunities may exist once you’ve graduated.  If you’ve been considering the U.S. as your study abroad option, it’s important that you’re in the know regarding post-study work visas and working rights in the country. We sat down with Taro, an international student from Japan, who told us about his experience of studying in the U.S. and