What will I learn?

This apprenticeship leads to a professional qualification in teaching in Further Education Colleges, Adult Education, Higher Education or a wide range of other training and educational settings outside of the school sector. Please note that the course does not confer Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for those working or intending to work in schools. You develop skills to play a full part in teaching & curriculum development, focusing on your particular specialist subject area. A significant amount of your learning happens in your place of work, allowing you to put theory in to practice. You will be in paid employment, as a Teacher Apprentice at a recognised training or educational establishment. You are required to identify a work-based mentor who can support you with your subject specialism. Upon successful completion of this course, it may be possible for people with QTLS to obtain work as a qualified teacher in schools, by following a process of professional formation through the Society for Education and Training to gain Qualified Teacher Learning & Skills (QTLS) status. Enrolling on this course means that you will be a University of Huddersfield student. Teaching will start in September 2020, but precise dates have yet to be confirmed (normally 12 dates). The main qualification you will study depends upon the highest qualification you hold. If you have a HNC, CGLI Advanced, the NVQ Level 3/4, or professional qualifications and significant work experience in the area you teach (where appropriate to the subject field) you will do the Certificate in Education (Cert.Ed) route. If you hold a UK degree or equivalent you will do the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education route.

Which department am I in?

Lifestyle and Adult Learning Programmes

Study options

Full Time (2 Years)

Tuition fees
To be confirmed
Start date

Expected September 2022


Shipley College

Victoria Road,




BD18 3LQ, England

Entry requirements

For international students

If you hold a UK degree or equivalent you will do the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education route. If you have UK degree or equivalent at a minimum 2:1 you will do the Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PCGE) route, or you may be suitable for the Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDip).

Get in touch