ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
Germany: Visa Guides - Must read

Applying for a student visa in Germany

We tell you everything you need to know about getting a visa to study in Germany

share image

Most international students from outside Europe will need a visa to study in Germany. It’s important that you apply for your visa well in advance of your course start date as it can take several months for the visa to be processed. We’ve made a handy guide to help simplify the process...


I am an EU student...

As a student from the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, you do NOT need a visa to study in Germany. Check here to see if you are an EU student.


However, this could be subject to change depending on the outcome of Brexit.

I am NOT an EU student...

If you are NOT an EU student, an EEA student, or from Switzerland, you WILL need a visa to study in Germany. There are two types of visas available to students. If you want to enrol on a short-term course, you’ll need the Schengen Visa, issued for a maximum stay of three months once every six months. For a long-term course, like a Masters or PhD, you will require a National Visa. Your first port of call is the German embassy in your home country. They will help clarify which type of visa you need and any other documentation.

Types of visas explained

Schengen Visas (short-term) or National (long-term) Visas are the most appropriate for international students and are explained in full below.


Schengen visa

The Schengen Visa allows students to stay in Germany for up to three months and so is only suited to students interested in short courses and NOT those looking to study at degree level. If a student wants to extend their stay on a Schengen visa, they will generally have to leave the country and reapply for another visa from their home country.


National (long-term) Visa

If you want to study a degree abroad (both undergraduate and postgraduate) you will need to apply for a National Visa or long-term visa. This is a visa for any student looking to stay in Germany for more than 90 days. The first step is to set up an appointment at the German embassy in your home country. You’ll then be told exactly what documentation you’ll need. We’ve listed the main items you’ll need below...


What documents will I need to apply for a student visa in Germany?

  • A valid passport
  • Proof of funds for living expenses
  • Confirmation of health insurance coverage
  • For an applicant visa: Confirmation of application from your university
  • For a student visa: the notice of admission from your university


Fees for student visas in Germany

The general fee for any type of visa to visit Germany is around EUR 60. You’ll also need proof of funds, which requires you to transfer at least EUR 8,640 into a blocked bank account. You can open a blocked account once you have administered with your uni. This sum of money can be accessed once you arrive in Germany. You can withdraw up to EUR 720 a month.


As of September 1st however, international students enrolling at universities in Germany will need EUR 10,236 to deposit into a blocked account. This is a planned 20% increase set by the German government in line with inflation and to prevent students doing too much part-time work during their studies. 


Want more information about this planned increase?


However, evidence of higher amounts of income may also be requested. As always, the German embassy in your home country will be able to supply more detailed information on this. 


For more details on applying for a German student visa check out the following DAAD German Academic Exchange detailed visa information pack.