ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country
The basics
Malaysia: Visa Guides - Must read

What are the post-study visa options in Malaysia?

Want to remain in Malaysia to work once you've graduated from a Malaysian university? Read our guide to the various passes you can apply for in order to work in Malaysia as an expatriate...

Petrona towers Kuala Lumpur

Are you finishing your studies in Malaysia but wish to remain in the country to work? Like many who study in Malaysia, you may not be quite ready to leave it all behind. Plus Malaysia is particularly strong in certain fields.


There are a few options available for graduates who wish to stay and work in the country after their studies, namely the Employment Pass. There is also the Temporary Employment Pass and Visitor’s Pass (Professional). The lengths of each of these options do vary, from six months up to around five years, as do the terms and conditions.


Who can stay in Malaysia to work?

This will depend on the role, salary and contract, all of which will dictate which pass an individual is eligible for to apply for. You will also need to have a passport which is valid for at least 18 months in order to apply for a work visa.


What’s the first step?

First you need to find a job with a company in Malaysia. Honestly, currently it is not all that simple for international graduates to remain in the country to work. The Malaysian government is very keen for jobs to go to Malaysian nationals before those from other countries (whether they are a graduating international student or an expat from abroad).


Take a look at our tips for writing a CV and guide to reference letters to help you obtain that first job as this is the hardest part. Once you have an offer from a company and you’ve accepted, your new employer should apply to the Malaysian government for the correct pass (note that individuals cannot do this themselves). Your company will have to apply to one of the government’s six agencies depending on the core business of that company.


What pass do I apply for?

Employment Pass

This is the most common pass for those who have been offered an extended job contract of over 2 years with a Malaysian company, with a monthly salary of RM 5,000.


The Employment Pass is typically offered for skilled workers, professionals and those in management roles. The Expatriate Committee will have to confirm that an expatriate from another country can take the role over someone from Malaysia. In addition to required documents, terms and conditions of the Employment Pass, the official Malaysian immigration department’s website provides the following guidelines as for who can apply depending on their role or ‘post’:


Key Post

  • Top managerial post of a foreign-owned company operating in Malaysia


Executive Post

  • Professional/middle managerial post
  • Required academic & working experience and practical skills related to the respective jobs


Non-Executive Post

  • Highly skilled
  • Require working experience and technical skills related to the respective jobs


 The cost of an employment pass for someone in a key post is RM300 per year with an additional RM50 to cover application fees.


Temporary Employment Pass

This is normally available to those with a job where the contract is for less than two years or where the monthly salary is less than RM 5,000. For anyone involved in industries such as manufacturing, plantation, agriculture, services and construction, this option is available for up to 5 years maximum and for those aged 18-45. However, there are some strict rules to abide by including who you can marry and changing jobs. Usually you will have to renew this each year which is a bit annoying but necessary.


Visit the Malaysian Government site to find out more about the Temporary Employment Pass, including documents to be provided, terms & conditions and more.


Visitor’s Pass (Professional)

The Visitor’s Pass is available to foreigners who have professional qualifications and skills who are either working for a foreign company or will only be in Malaysia for 12 months or less. This Pass would be for those working in a specific field, including the following: 


  • Lecturer
  • Researcher
  • Technical Advisor
  • Maintenance Expert
  • External Auditor


The processing fee for a Visitor’s Pass (Professional) is RM90 per application. Apply for a visitor’s pass here



Feeling inspired to study and work in Malaysia? Browse courses in Malaysian institutions here!


Read more:


Applying for a student visa in Malaysia

Study in Malaysia


'Study in Malaysia' eBook

Enjoy what you’ve read? We’ve condensed the above popular topics about studying in Malaysia into one handy digital book.

Get your eBook