ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
Australia: Visa Guides

Canadian students applying for an Australian student visa

Practical advice for Canadian students travelling to Australia

share image

From the beach to the outback, the Sydney Opera House to the Great Barrier Reef, Australia offers a vast, varied and beautiful landscape with exceptional cultural diversity. But before you can experience authentic Australia as part of the ever-growing student community, you have to make sure that you can get into the country. Aside from simply applying to universities there, you must obtain a visa. With our step-by-step guide on how to approach this, we can ensure that you are on the right track.


Which visa will I need?

Canadian students travelling to study in Australia can choose from several classes of visa. The one you need depends on the length of the program you are planning to undertake.


If your course lasts for more than 3 months, you will need to apply for a Higher Education Visa (Subclass 573). This allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your full-time higher education course.


For courses that last up to 3 months, you will need to apply for a Visitor Visa (Subclass 600, 601, 651).


You can find more details on each of these visas and subclasses, as well as any special requirement visas here. http://www.border.gov.au/

What documents do I need to provide?

General requirements are:

  • A completed Australian student visa application form
  • A valid passport
  • An electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate (you will receive this by email once you have accepted your offer from your chosen institution and paid your deposit)
  • Evidence that you are able to fund airfares, course fees and living costs
  • Evidence of Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (find out more here) https://oshcaustralia.com.au/en
  • Criminal record check results
  • Proof that you meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement (details on this can be found here) http://www.border.gov.au/


How much will it cost?

The application fee for a Higher Education Visa (subclass 573) costs $550. For a Visitor Visa, the fee depends on the subclass. While subclass 600 costs $135, both subclasses 601 and 651 do not have an application fee.


When do I need to apply?

While visa processing times vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for, you should generally allow up to 4 weeks. Online applications, however, tend to have a much quicker turnaround.


When will I be able to go to Australia and how long can I stay for?

You can arrive in Australia up to 90 days prior to the beginning of your course. Your student visa will allow you to remain in the country for the duration of your studies and also for a short while after your course ends. If needed, you can apply for an extension on your visa, but you do not need to worry about this until your final year of study.


Now that you know what you need, how much it will cost and what kind of visa you will need to apply for, important decisions such as which university you want to attend and what program you feel is right for you will be much easier to make.

Study in Australia


'Study in Australia' eBook

Enjoy what you’ve read? We’ve condensed the above popular topics about studying in Australia into one handy digital book.

Get your eBook