ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
Hong Kong: Visa Guides - Must read

Post-study visa options in Hong Kong

Learn about how international students can remain to work in Hong Kong once they have graduated, namely through the Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates (IANG)...

share image

If you are an international student hoping to remain in Hong Kong post-graduation to work, then the official Study in Hong Kong site seems encouraging in your favour:


‘To attract and retain talents so as to strengthen Hong Kong’s competitiveness and long-term economic development, we welcome our non-local students to stay here after graduation. We have put in place a favourable policy, called the Immigration Arrangement for Non-local Graduates (IANG) for non-local fresh graduates to stay in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation without any restrictions to seek jobs.’


What is the Immigration Arrangement for non-local Graduates (IANG)?

First of all, let’s explain some of the terminology:


Non-local student: A student originally from outside of Hong Kong who is enrolled as part of a higher education course at a locally-accredited Hong Kong institution.


Non-local graduate: A student originally from outside of Hong Kong who has graduated from a higher education course at a locally-accredited Hong Kong institution.


Non-local fresh graduate: A graduate from outside of Hong Kong who has graduated from a locally-accredited institution in Hong Kong in the previous six months.


Returning non-local graduate: A graduate from outside of Hong Kong whose graduation from a locally-accredited Hong Kong institution was longer than six months ago.


So, how long ago was your graduation?

Within 6 months - You're a non-local fresh graduate

If you have graduated in the last 6 months and have begun the visa process, you do not have to have to be made an offer of employment as a condition of obtaining your visa under the IANG.


Longer than 6 months ago - You're a returning non-local graduate

If it has been 6 months or longer since you graduated when you begin the process to obtain a visa, you must have an offer of employment to secure your visa under the IANG.


Therefore, begin the process for your student visa as soon as possible upon graduating!


Duration of your visa (& residence permit)

Initial visa – Valid for 1 year

  • 1st extension – Valid for 2 more years
  • 2nd extension – Valid for 2 more years
  • 3rd extension – Valid for 3 more years


What you can and cannot do under IANG rules

  • You CAN enter and re-enter Hong Kong without any further visa or permit (provided the circumstances their residential status was acquired on have not changed).
  • You CAN find new employment and still remain in Hong Kong
  • If you can only secure employment for a few months (less than 12 months), you CAN still remain in the country for 12 months provided that all other immigration requirements are met.


Read more about what you can and cannot do under the terms of the IANG


Now that you know more about Hong Kong’s IANG initiative, find a course to study abroad in Hong Kong!


Read more:


‘Applying for a student visa in Hong Kong’

'Finding a graduate career in Hong Kong'