ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country

Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
The basics
Sweden: Visa Guides - Must read

Post-study visa options in Sweden

Read our guide to what visa options are available to international students in Sweden to remain in the country once they've graduated.

share image

As a country famed for its innovation, technological development and high standard of living it’s little wonder that many international students studying in Sweden don’t want to leave once they have graduated. If as an international student you find yourself in this position then you will need to apply for a post-study work permit. We explore what your options are, how to apply and what you need to consider when making your application to live and work in Sweden.


How do I qualify for a post-study work permit?


The post-study work permit options available to students who want to stay in Sweden post-study presently depend on whether they are from an EU or EEA country (or Switzerland). However, following a new policy from the Swedish government, introduced in 2020, it is possible for non-EU students and researchers to apply to remain in the country for up to a year after the completion of their studies. This had previously been set at six months. Remember to find out more about whether you are classed as coming from an EU or EEA country. 


Find out more about what it’s like to live and study in Sweden as an international student.


Applying for a work permit as an EU/EEA student 


At this time, students from EU/EEA countries can work and live in Sweden straight after completing their studies. Students from an EU or EEA country do not need a work permit to stay and work in the country. Furthermore, students from Denmark, Finland and Norway can do so without obtaining a residence permit. All EU/EEA/Swiss nationals must register with the Swedish Tax Agency to register with the Swedish population register.


Discover what makes Sweden such an attractive place to study in the field of sustainability


How do I apply if I am not an EU/EEA/Swiss student?


If you are not from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can apply for an extension for your current student residence permit which is for a period of up to one year. The only conditions are that you must be able to support yourself financially during this period and have completed at least 30 credits or one semester of postgraduate studies in the country, completing your course.


Get the inside information on studying as a non-EU/EEA/Swiss student in Sweden with American student Jordan Matthews. 


How to apply for a work permit in Sweden


If you have graduated and secured employment, you must then apply for a work permit in Sweden. Your new employer must initiate this process by filling out an offer of employment. You must start this process before your residence permit expires. Remember that this may be a residence permit as part of your studies or as part of a residence permit to seek employment in Sweden. If you cannot satisfy any of these terms, you can still apply for a work permit from another country.


To make an application you must apply online through the Swedish Migration Board. In addition, you must make sure that you meet the following terms when applying for a work permit:


  • You must have a valid passport.

  • You must have been offered terms of employment and a salary that are on par with those set by Swedish collective agreements or which are customary within the occupation or industry.

  • You must have been offered a minimum salary of SEK 13,000 per month before taxes.

  • Your employer must intend to provide insurance covering health, life, employment and pension when you begin to work.


It’s always a good idea to get started as early as possible on any visa or work permit application. This reduces the chances of you missing key deadlines and gives you enough time to find the required paperwork. 


With a better idea of what it takes to apply for a post-study work permit in Sweden, you will probably want to find out more about finding a graduate career in the country and you may want to brush up on the requirements and rules for a Swedish student visa


Make sure that you don’t miss out on our guide to what makes Sweden such a unique study destination for international students. Don’t forget you can also use our course matcher tool to find your perfect course in Sweden.