ip target image
You are currently browsing our site with content tailored to students in your country
The basics
STUDY ABROAD : Student Life - Must read

Can Filipino students work abroad while studying?

share image


Yes. If you have a Tier 4 student visa you can work in the UK while studying. You can work for up to 20 hours a week during term time, and full-time during your holidays.


You are allowed to do most kinds of work, though Home Office rules do not allow you to run a business, be self-employed, or pursue a career by filling a permanent career vacancy (you are also not allowed to work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer).



Yes. Once you receive your F-1 Visa, you will have the right to work on campus for maximum of 20 hours per week during the study period and up to 40 hours per week during breaks.


Working on campus implies that the job must be done for the institution you study in, not mattering if it is done inside the facilities of the institution. It also permits to work for the enterprises that provide services for your education institution (like the cafeteria and library services).


With your F-1 Visa, you will not be able to work off-campus unless you ask for the permit of the Immigration Services of the United States. You can do this a year after the beginning of your study and only if you will do an Optional Practical Training (OPT), which is a work related to your field of study, or a Curricular Practical Training (CTP), which is an internship.



Yes. An Australian student visa will allow you to work up to 20 hours a week during term time, and full-time during breaks. Once you find a job in Australia, your employer must give you a formal award or agreement, which should establish the minimum wage you will receive per hour, as well as your working conditions.


International students receive permission to work along with their visa grant and do not need to apply for a work permit separately.


Although students are allowed to arrive in Australia up to 90 days before their course starts, they are not allowed to begin working until after their courses have begun.



Yes, it is possible to work in Canada while studying. However, in some cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit.

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program authorises students to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full-time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays and spring break).


Filipino students who hold valid study permits and who are studying full-time at eligible Canadian public and private universities or colleges may also be eligible to work on-campus at the institution where they study without a work permit.



Yes, but there are many restrictions. Filipino students studying in Malaysia can only work during holiday breaks of more than seven days. During this time they are only permitted to work part-time, in a restricted category of jobs, at a maximum of 20 hours a week.


Non-Malaysian students are permitted to work in: restaurants, petrol kiosks, mini markets and hotels. Non-Malaysian students are not able to work in the following positions: cashier, singer, masseur, musician, guest relations officer or ‘any activity deemed to be immoral’.


Depending on your university, there may be on-campus working opportunities. Some will require that you have been studying there for a minimum of one semester. Requests to work must be made through the university at which you are studying.


New Zealand

Yes. While studying in New Zealand you can work up to 20 hours during term time and full-time during scheduled breaks.


Working during the term

To work for up to 20 hours per week, you must meet one of seven requirements. The most common requirements are:

  • Your study programme is for at least two years
  • The study leads to a New Zealand qualification that gains points under the Skilled Migrant Category
  • You are taking an English language course that meets conditions approved by Immigration New Zealand

In special cases, some students may be allowed to work for more than 20 hours a week.

Students of a master’s by research or doctoral degree at a New Zealand institution may work full-time while they are studying.


Working during scheduled breaks

During scheduled breaks eligible students may work full-time.

You may be eligible to work full-time during all scheduled breaks if your programme is for one academic year and is worth 120 credits or more.

If your programme is full-time for one academic year but worth less than 120 credits, you may be able to work full-time during the Christmas and New Year holiday break.