One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
Antony Chacko
17 Aug 2015 6.5K 2 mins Share

Twinning Programmes in Malaysia

An article about the vast study options available in Malaysia as twinning programmes helping Indian students.

17 Aug 2015 6.5K 2 mins Share
Share this article

Studying abroad doesn’t have to be such an expensive affair always. If you want to get a bachelor’s or master’s degree abroad without ripping your wallet apart (or your parents’ in this case),  consider taking up a twinning programme in Malaysia.

Twinning programmes have been around for a while now but are becoming extremely popular now with students wanting to get an international degree at a modest price. Malaysian universities and colleges specialise in offering these twinning programmes to international students and have always been a hit especially with Indian students.

How does it work?

The private universities and colleges in Malaysia collaborate with leading universities in countries like the UK, US, Australia and New Zealand to offer unique ‘2+1’ or ‘3+1’ twinning degrees. You get to study two years of the course in Malaysia and then travel to the partner university abroad to complete the final year. Upon fulfilling the graduation requirements, you would be awarded the overseas partner university’s degree qualification.

How do you benefit?

The twinning programme offers you an international degree at a much lower cost as well as a multi-cultural experience. For example, if you enrol in Malaysia for a four-year twinning degree programme in engineering, you finish three years of study in Malaysia with the last year in Australia (i.e. ‘3+1’ twinning degree), you might end up saving up to AUD60, 000 (USD46, 500) in tuition fees and living costs compared to when you do the entire four-year degree in Australia! On top of that, you also get to study and live in two different countries.

See Also: Educational loans- the highs and lows

You also have the flexibility to choose between ‘2+1’ or ‘1+2’ combinations where you can pursue either 1 year; 1½ years; 2 years; or 2½ years at a private higher educational institution in Malaysia, out of a 3-year degree programme before going to the twinning partner university overseas to complete the remaining modules of the course.

You also benefit from the hassle-free immigration procedures that provide a clear and direct pathway for you to pursue your education in Malaysia.

What subjects are available?

Popular courses taken through the twinning programmes include bachelor or master degrees in Engineering, Accounting and Finance, Business management or the Humanities.

Most of these programmes are approved by Malaysia Qualifications Agency (MQA) and the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia.

Cost of living in Malaysia

Though the average cost of living in Malaysia is much lesser than compared to other countries like Australia or the UK, the actual amount of money you will require for your day-to-day living expenses will vary depending on your lifestyle. A single student living off campus will approximately spend up to RM15, 000 (USD3,750) per annum inclusive of transportation, food, accommodation, personal expenditure and entertainment. The cost of accommodation and transportation constitute a substantial portion of the off-campus expenses. If you choose to live on-campus, the average cost of living for a student living on campus is about RM10, 000.00 per year.

Universities to consider

Following are some universities in Malaysia which offer twinning programmes in collaboration with the partner universities (also listed below):

  • Metropolitan College Malaysia: RMIT University and Curtin University of Technology
  • SIT International College: University of South Australia and Southern New Hampshire University
  • Taylor’s university: University of Reading
  • Asia Pacific University College of Technology and Innovation (UCTI): Staffordshire University`
  • Sunway College: Western Michigan University and Victoria University

Image courtesy by: Posterize

Is this article useful?

Need help choosing a course?

Prashant Sukhija Prashant Sukhija,
Study abroad expert.
We can help you find the right course from our comprehensive database. Speak to us now!