One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
Antony Chacko
08 Dec 2014 5K 2 mins Share

Know your work rights in Netherlands

Work rights - Every thing you need to know about working in Netherlands. From internship to health insurance, this article throws light on the rights of individuals working in Netherlands.

08 Dec 2014 5K 2 mins Share
Share this article

Netherlands is being favoured by many Indian students as a destination for further studies abroad. Most overseas students look at various revenue options to pay for their living expenses as well as any educational loans they might have taken to finance their studies abroad. If you are one of them, it’s a good idea for you to be aware of your work rights in the Netherlands.

Working while studying in the Netherlands

If you are an Indian student who has a valid residence permit for the purpose of study in the Netherlands, you can work during the course of your study to support your living expenses. You are permitted to take up full-time work from June to August, or work part time for a maximum of 10 hours a week outside the summer period.


During your course at university, you can take up an internship with a Dutch company and you don’t need to apply for a separate residence permit for this purpose. Your residence permit for the purpose of study will remain valid for the internship. Your employer doesn’t need to apply for a work permit for you either, although the employer must be able to submit an internship agreement on request.

Working after graduating in the Netherlands

International students who obtain a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a university in the Netherlands can spend a period of up to 12 months to find a job as a highly skilled migrant. Called the ‘search year’, this is the time given to graduates to look for a suitable job in the Dutch market. If you have obtained a PhD degree from a Netherland’s university, there is a separate scheme called “Admission scheme for highly educated persons” which will apply to you. For more details about this, visit

With a residence permit for the ‘search year’, you can take up any paid or unpaid employment and your employer does not have to apply for a work permit. However, at the end of the ‘search year’ period, your residence permit cannot be extended. You either should apply for a ‘change of purpose’, or leave the country. If you do succeed in finding a job, your employer will usually assist you in applying for your ‘change of purpose’.

Health insurance

As soon as you take up any form of paid employment in the Netherlands, you are obliged to arrange for basic public healthcare insurance. Until then, you can make do with a private health care insurance policy if required. This rule applies to those of you who take up a paid internship during your study period in the Netherlands.

Is this article useful?

Looking to study abroad?

Sangeetha Anto Sangeetha Anto,
Study abroad expert.
We can offer guidance on work permits and regulations abroad