One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
Article image
Antony Chacko

Antony used to be a Product Manager with us and occasionally has written articles for our study abroad aspirants. When not at work you'd find him at the theaters watching movies.


08 Dec 2014 6.2K Book icon 6 mins Share

What is the processing fee for an Australian student visa?

Get to know the payment procedures and related components that require to apply for an Australian student visa.

08 Dec 2014 6.2K Book icon 6 mins Share
Antony Chacko

Antony used to be a Product Manager with us and occasionally has written articles for our study abroad aspirants. When not at work you'd find him at the theaters watching movies.


Share this article
What is the processing fee for an Australian student visa?

Before applying for a visa students need to submit a letter of acceptance from the Australian institute they are joining. Students are expected to pay their tuition fee before applying at the Australian High Commission and are required to submit complete documents including their passport. Applications can be filled by paper or done online. There are components to be considered apart from the common application and payment process; components like acceptable course of study, correspondence method, information disclosure consent and applicant rights.

Package courses

When students wish to apply for a package of courses containing an enabling course like a prerequisite English language course, bridging course or a foundation course followed by the main course, they should submit evidence of their enlistment in their course, plus letters of acceptance from the institution the students are planning to study. Students will be accessed under the visa subclass applicable to the principal course, and at the highest assessment level of the courses in their nominated package. Students will be granted a student visa to cover the total of the proposed package if only they provide confirmation of enrolment for all courses.   

Acceptable courses 

Students to be eligible for a student (Subclass 570–576) visa, the student must be accepted for full-time study in a registered institution or part of a registered course. Receipt for full-time study is established by an electronic confirmation of enrolment certificate or an ‘offer of a place in a course’ letter issued by the registered provider. If you are students are sponsored by AusAID or Defence, a letter from these agencies mentioning their support of your study in Australia is mandatory. A registered course is an education or training offered by an Australian education provider registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) to provide courses to international students. 

How to lodge your application 

Students, who are applying in Australia, may be for a visa extension or a visa status change can lodge their application in person, by mail or electronically through the department’s website. Electronic lodgement through the department’s website is the preferred method of lodgement.

Applying in person 

In some states or territories in Australia students may have to book an appointment to file their application. Before gong in person it is advised to telephone the department on 131 881 for advice about whether the student need an appointment. If students need an appointment, they can book one when they telephone the department. 
Students need to complete application form 157A for a student visa and lodge it with their supporting documents at an appropriate Australian Government office if they are applying outside Australia or at any office of the department before their current visa expires.

Electronic student visa 

Students are eligible to apply through the department’s website for an electronic student visa and eligibility is restricted if:
  • The visa holder is seeking permission to work 
  • The student is looking to further his/her student visa 
An assessment Level 1 applicant is seeking to apply for a student visa. Outside Australia, all Assessment Level 1 students are eligible to apply for a student visa on the internet. 

By post: 

Student Visa Centre (South Australia) 
Department of Immigration and Citizenship 
GPO Box 1393 

By courier: 

Student Visa Centre (South Australia) 
Department of Immigration and Citizenship 
4th Floor 
55 Currie Street 

Residential address 

Students should provide the address of the place where they intend to live while their application is being dealt with. Failing to provide a residential address will result in their application being invalid. The department does not accept a post office box address as a residential address. 

Consent to Communicate Electronically 

To communicate or intimate applicants the department may use a range of means to communicate. Yet, electronic means such as fax or e-mail will only be used if students have specifically indicated their agreement to receiving communication in a certain way. For the student’s application to be processed, the department may need to communicate with them about sensitive information, for example, health, police checks, financial viability and personal relationships. Electronic communications, unless adequately encrypted, are not safe and may be viewed by others or interfered with. If students agree to the department communicating with them by electronic means, the details that students provide will only be used by the department for the purpose for which they have provided them, unless there is a legal obligation or necessity to use them for another purpose, or the students have consented to use for another purpose.
The Australian Government is very clear and accepts no responsibility for the security or integrity of any information sent to the department over the internet or by any other electronic means.

Visa Application Charge 

Students are required to pay the Visa Application Charge of AUD. 552.72/Rs. 30,896.61, unless they are sponsored by the Commonwealth of Australia or participating in a formal secondary exchange program. Under some circumstances they may not be required to pay a Visa Application Charge if their education provider ceased to offer the student’s course. 
The visa application fees may be subject to adjustment at any time and visa application Charges may be subject to adjustment on 1 July each year which may contribute to the cost of a visa. Payment should be made upon application and is generally not refunded even if the application is unsuccessful. 

Method of payment 

Students can make a payment by credit card, debit card, bank cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. International students before making a payment outside Australia, need check with the Australian Government office where they intend to lodge their application as to what method of payment and currencies will be accepted and to whom the payment should be made payable. International applicants need provide supporting documents with their application. Students should provide all of the supporting documentation needed to support their application, certified or notarised copies and declare in their application form that they have attached all the required documents. 
‘Certified copies’ are copies authorised or stamped authenticating them as being true copies of the originals by a person or agency recognised by the law of your home country to perform such functions. While in Australia, copies may be certified by a Justice of the Peace, a Commissioner for Declarations or a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959. The supporting documentation required may vary depending on the student’s assessment level and the education sector of their main course of study. 

English Translations 

Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation. If students are applying in Australia, the translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) translators are NAATI-accredited. 

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) 

Usually, students should have acceptable health insurance cover by paying the OSHC for themselves and accompanying family unit members for the proposed duration of their visa and their student visa will be valid for the same period as their OSHC policy to ensure that they have OSHC for the entire period while in Australia. 

Students to arrange their OSHC, can: 

• Ask their education provider to organise their health insurance cover on their behalf; or
• If the education provider cannot assist the students, they need select an approved OSHC provider and pay the insurance. 
The students should provide the office processing their visa with a receipt of payment of the OSHC fee or other evidence that the students are covered by OSHC before their student visa can be granted.

Withdrawal of application 

Students can withdraw their application in writing at any time before a decision is made and any charges that students have paid at the time they lodged their application are usually non-refundable. If students have applied for a student visa in Australia, they will be most likely granted a bridging visa at the time they have made their application. When students withdraw their application, the bridging visa will cease to be in effect after 28 days from the date of withdrawal. As a result, students will become an unlawful non-citizen 28 days after the withdrawal if they have not departed Australia within that time and students do not hold another valid visa. 

Review rights 

If a student visa is refused, the student can apply for a review of the decision. Students will be notified of their review rights in writing and the time limits for lodging such an appeal. This information sheet contains a list of the current Assessment Levels for all passports and education sectors in Australia’s Student Visa Program (SVP).

Re-entry to Australia 

A student visa permits multiple entries to Australia and if students or students’ members of their family unit are planning to leave and return to Australia during the period of the students’ study, the students and their family members should ensure that they re-enter Australia before the expiry of their visa. If the student or the members of the family looks to re-enter Australia after the student visa has expired, they will need to apply for a new student visa overseas, pay the visa application charge and meet visa requirements current at the time.
Students can apply for a further student visa in Australia if they want to extend their stay in Australia to complete your current course or to enrol in a new course, you should apply for a new student visa before their current student visa or another visa they hold expires. Students may not be granted a new student visa if they hold a student visa with a ‘no further stay’ condition.
All the Best.

Need help applying for a study visa?

Nupur Verma Nupur Verma,
IDP Expert
Get FREE guidance on every aspect on visa application process. Get in touch with us now!