One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
Looking to study engineering abroad?
Gayathri Gopakumar

Meet Gayathri - a Content Editor at Hotcourses India- an IDP company. A once-international student herself- she loves to research & give insights into the world of global education through her writing. When she isn’t working, you'll find her playing, travelling or binge-watching just about anything.


07 May 2019 341 Book icon 4 mins Share

Looking to study engineering abroad? Here are 5 countries that offer post-study work permit!

If you have plans to study engineering abroad, this article is for you! Here’s all you need to know about the countries that offer post-study work permit.

07 May 2019 341 Book icon 4 mins Share
Looking to study engineering abroad?

Until sometime back, anyone who wishes to study engineering abroad would think of nowhere else but the US. But times have changed. Over the past couple of years, there has been a significant surge in students exploring other countries such as Canada and Germany; and even not-so traditional countries like Denmark, Netherlands and Sweden to pursue engineering. The reasons that drive students to explore these nations are pretty simple:

  • Booming economy in those countries facilitate long term career options
  • Geographical proximity
  • And most importantly: more relaxed work-permit regulations

To study engineering abroad is a serious investment and it only makes sense to choose those countries that grant post-study work-permit and encourage you to work there. Let’s explore those countries and their work-permit visas now:


It’s widely known that Canada is extensively used as a pathway to the US. Well, not so anymore. Nowadays, students are quite happy to work in Canada post their studies – thanks to its friendly environment and its booming economy. Simple PR procedure and good universities have resulted in a steady ascent in the number of students studying in Canada in the recent years.

Post-study work visa:

The longevity of the post-graduation work permit in Canada typically depends on how long your study programme is. If you were planning on pursuing a course that’s less than eight months, think again – you will not be eligible for a post-study work permit.

However if your programme is more than 8 months long and less than two years, you’ll be granted a work permit that’s as long as you’re programme of study. For example, if your course is 9 months long, your work permit will be valid for up to 9 months after your graduation.

The icing on the cake is when your study programme is for two years – this guarantees you a work-permit for three whole years!   

Here are few of the popular universities in Canada to study engineering:

  1. University of Toronto
  2. University of British Columbia
  3. Carleton University
  4. McGill University
  5. University of Montreal


If you’re looking to study engineering abroad, it’s no surprise that Germany crossed your mind. Deutschland has always been a popular destination – particularly for automobile, mechanical and chemical engineering.

And guess what? All public universities in Germany abolished tuition fees for undergraduate students since 2014. So essentially, but for a meagre admission and other costs, international students can pursue undergraduate degrees for free in German public universities. 

However, admission to public universities is very competitive and you’ll need excellent academic records to prove yourselves.   

Post-study work visa:

According to German immigration rules, students are allowed to apply for a residence permit of 18 months after graduation – during which they can work/look out for a job that’s strictly pertaining to their field of study.   

Take a look at the popular universities for engineering in Germany:

  1. Technical University of Munich
  2. RWTH Aachen University
  3. Technical University of Berlin
  4. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
  5. TU Dresden


Australia has always been a favourite destination among non-STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Management) owing to its acceptance of 15 years of education, unlike US universities. Alas, the trend is changing and more and more students are flocking towards Australia to pursue engineering. This has a lot to do with the high probability of getting a PR, by taking the engineering – work-permit route.

Post-study visa:

You’ll need to have studies for a minimum of two years in Australia, in order to get a post-study work visa. For students who have recently graduated from an Aussie university, there’s the Temporary Graduate Visa which allows you to work after your graduation.

According to Australian immigration system, is has two work streams:

Graduate Work Stream:

This option is for international graduate who possess qualifications and skills that are in demand in Australia. It allows a visa extension of 18 months at the least and is not based on the student’s graduate degree.

Post-Study Work visa:

On the other hand, the Post-Study Work visa grants an extension of 3-4 years, based on the degree of the student.

The land down under is home to over 40 universities – most of which are among the top universities in the world. The most popular of them are:

  1. Australian National University
  2. University of Melbourne
  3. University of Sydney
  4. University of Queensland
  5. Monash University

United Kingdom

At the moment, getting a work-permit after graduation in the UK requires outstanding academic records and skills as post-study options are relatively less compared to other countries. But thanks to the UK Government’s new regulation in early 2019, students pursuing undergraduate and post graduate degrees will be granted an extension of 6 months to look for a job – in effect from December 2021 (after Brexit). According to the new regulations, doctoral students will have up to a year of extension.

Post-Study Work Visa:

At present, international students can apply for the following work-permit visas after their graduation:

Tier 2 (General) Visa: This is the basic visa to stay back and work in the UK post your studies. It is applicable to recent graduates who hold either a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD from a recognised UK university.

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa: For those of you innovative minds with ground-breaking business ideas, this visa option is for you to become an entrepreneur.  

Tier 4 (Student) Visa:  Unlike other degrees, if you’ve completed a PhD in any of the UK’s recognised universities, you can use this visa to extend your stay by another 12 months post your education.

Few of the popular universities in the UK for engineering are:

  1. University of Oxford
  2. University of Cambridge
  3. University of Glasgow
  4. Imperial College London
  5. University of Sheffield

New Zealand

Home to eight world-class universities, New Zealand attracts a lot of international students looking to study engineering abroad. Known to be one of the friendliest nations, New Zealand’s immigration policies are relaxed and welcoming.

Post-study visa:

New Zealand Government is actively urging its international students to stay back and work in the island country. According to its immigration laws, if you’ve completed education in New Zealand, you can apply for a work-visa which typically allows you to do any kind of work for any employer (not necessarily in your field of study). This visa lets you stay back 1-3 years post your study, depending on your qualification and the institution of your study.   

Here’s a list of the popular universities in New Zealand for engineering:

  1. University of Auckland
  2. University of Otago
  3. University of Canterbury
  4. Auckland University of Technology
  5. University of Waikato

When you shell out a significant sum for higher education, isn’t it wiser to choose a destination that lets you reap the benefits of your education? So how do you choose where to study – study in the UK and you can get world-class education in a shorter time, while still being pocket-friendly; study in Canada and you have higher chances of staying back and working. Hard to pick, innit? Not anymore, come talk to our expert counsellors who are more than happy to help you pursue your dreams.

All you have to do is sign up in our ‘call back’ form and we’ll give you personalised guidance on everything from choosing study destination and shortlisting universities to subject-specific requirements and application process. So what are you waiting for – get ready to study engineering abroad!

Need help choosing a University?

Chandni Pasrija Chandni Pasrija,
IDP Expert
We can help you find the right university. Request a call back today.