Our cookies

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience with personalized content, relevant ads and enhanced functionalities. By allowing all you agree to the use of cookies as per the cookie policy and remember you can manage your preferences anytime.
Article image
HC India Editor

The article is posted by Hotcourses India Admin.


29 Feb 2016 15.5K Book icon 6 mins Share

The UK Visa Procedure for Students - Documents to be Submitted

A detailed guide on what documents to be submitted for applying UK Visa and its assessment structure. Must read before applying for Visa.

29 Feb 2016 15.5K Book icon 6 mins Share
HC India Editor

The article is posted by Hotcourses India Admin.


Share this article
documents needed for UK visa procedure

Deciding to study abroad may sound daunting but in reality it is a fantastic way of expanding horizons and advancing your career. Many international students opt for higher education at British institutions, as the systematic approach to teaching encourages students to think creatively and apply ideas into practice in the real world.  

To study in the United Kingdom, international students have to acquire a student visa from the nearby British High Commission. A Tier 4 (General) student visa will cover a student’s plan to pursue full-time education in the UK.

What are the Documents to be Submitted?

You can apply for a student visa, 3 months prior to your date of travel to the UK. Before applying, you must prepare the supporting documents that you will need:

Evidence of Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

Before applying for a student visa, you need to ensure that you possess 40 points in your assessment. You will score 30 points for having a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS). When you apply, you must quote your CAS reference number on your application form - your Tier 4 sponsor will provide you the reference number and the documents you used to get the CAS. 

Assessment Based on Qualifications

After Tier 4 sponsors check your qualification documents and assign you a CAS, you should send those documents with your application to the Embassy for verification; the documents being:
  • Original certificates of qualification or
  • Original transcript/document of academic results; provisional certificates are not accepted
All original award/certification should clearly state:
  • Your full name
  • Title of the award/certification
  • Date of the award/certification and
  • Name of the institution
All original documents/transcripts of results should clearly state:
  • Your full name
  • Name of the institution
  • Course title and
  • Confirmation of the award
Be aware of what evidence your Tier 4 sponsor has incorporated on your CAS so that you can submit them with your application.

Assessment Based on References

If your sponsor has assessed you using references, you should send each of the original references assessed on the CAS to the Embassy.
Each reference should contain:
  • Your full name
  • Confirmation of the level and type of course or prior experience
  • Dates of study or prior experience
  • Date of the letter and
  • Referee's contact information
If you are unable to provide the original reference letters/statements/bona fides, you can submit copies and a letter from your Tier 4 sponsor, confirming that these are true copies of references they assessed.

Assessment Based on Progress

If you have been accepted based on progress you have made on an existing course, your Tier 4 sponsor should mention this information on the CAS. No documents are required to be send to the Embassy in this case.

Assessment of English Language Competence

If you are planning to take a course that is below level 6 of the revised NQF and is not a foundation degree, your Tier 4 sponsor should assess your English competence before assigning a CAS. If the sponsor assessed you based on a formal qualification that you hold, you should include the qualification certificate with your application to the Embassy.
You should provide an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate along with your Tier 4 application when:
PG study leading to a doctorate or master's degree by research in a subject listed in Appendix 6, paragraph 1 of the Immigration Rules; or
Listed in Appendix 6, paragraph 2 of the Immigration Rules; or 
Additional 6 months' study or research in the UK, part of an overseas PG-level course, in any subject listed in Appendix 6 of the Immigration Rules.
“Appendix 6 - Disciplines for which an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate from the Counter-Proliferation Department of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is required for the purposes of paragraphs 245ZV and 245ZX of these Rules”
1. Doctorate or Masters by research:
Subjects allied to Medicine:
JACs codes beginning
B1 - Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
B2 - Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy
B9 - Others in subjects allied to Medicine
Biological Sciences:
JACs codes beginning
C1 - Biology
C2 - Botany
C4 - Genetics
C5 - Microbiology
C7 - Molecular Biology, Biophysics and Biochemistry
C9 - Others in Biological Sciences
Veterinary Sciences, Agriculture and related subjects:
JACs codes beginning
D3 - Animal Science
D9 - Others in Veterinary Sciences, Agriculture and related subjects
Physical Sciences:
JACs codes beginning
F1 - Chemistry
F2 - Materials Science
F3 - Physics
F5 - Astronomy
F8 - Physical and Terrestrial Geographical and Environmental Sciences
F9 - Others in Physical Sciences
Mathematical and Computer Sciences:
JACs codes beginning
G1 - Mathematics
G2 - Operational Research
G4 - Computer Science
G7 - Artificial Intelligence
G9 - Others in Mathematical and Computing Sciences
JACs codes beginning
H1 - General Engineering
H2 - Civil Engineering
H3 - Mechanical Engineering
H4 - Aerospace Engineering
H5 - Naval Architecture
H6 - Electronic and Electrical Engineering
H7 - Production and Manufacturing Engineering
H8 - Chemical, Process and Energy Engineering
H9 - Others in Engineering
JACs codes beginning
J2 - Metallurgy
J4 - Polymers and Textiles
J5 - Materials Technology not otherwise specified
J7 - Industrial Biotechnology
J9 - Others in Technology
2. Taught Masters:
F2 - Materials Science
F3 - Physics (including Nuclear Physics)
H3 - Mechanical Engineering
H4 - Aerospace Engineering
J5 - Materials Technology/Materials Science not otherwise specified
For courses commencing on or after 1 January 2012
1. Doctorate or Masters by Research:
JACs codes beginning:
G0 - Mathematical and Computer Sciences
I1 - Computer Science
I4 - Artificial Intelligence
I9 - Others in Computer Science
2. Taught Masters:
H8 - Chemical, Process and Energy Engineering
You should apply for an ATAS clearance certificate online on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website, which also contains information about the scheme and the list of subjects.
An ATAS certificate is issued for a specific course with a named Tier 4 sponsor, and remains valid as long as the sponsor and the course details don’t change. You will need to apply for a new certificate when you:
  • Change your course
  • The area of research or components change for the course
  • Move to another institution; or
  • Need permission to stay in order to write your thesis
You should send your ATAS certificate with your application to the Embassy.

Evidence of Funds

You will score 10 points when you provide evidence that you have enough money to pay your course fees and living expenses. To declare the 10 points, you should show that you:
  • Have paid all or part of your tuition fees and accommodation fees to your Tier 4 sponsor
  • Are in receipt of a sponsorship/grant and/or
  • Have enough money to cover your living expenses

'Low-risk' Applicants

There are chances when the Embassy might consider that you are a 'low-risk' applicant, in which case you do not need to include the documents with your application. Yet, you must confirm on your application that you meet the requirements and that you have the required documents. The Embassy has the right to request all the documents from you and refuse your application unless you submit them. 
To be considered as 'low risk', you should be sponsored by a trusted sponsor and you must be in the UK or applying for a Tier 4 visa in your country of nationality.
Documents that are submitted as proofs are to be:
  • Original documents issued by an authorised official of the issuing organisation 
  • Official transcripts/documents/statements should be on the organisation's official letter-headed paper

 Non-English Documents

For applicants while in the UK

If your documents are not in English or Welsh, you must send the original document and a fully certified translation by a professional translator or translation company dated, containing the original signature of the translator or the authorised official of the translation company to the Embassy including:
  • Date of the translation
  • Credentials of the translator or translation company
  • Written confirmation authenticating the translation of the document and
  • Contact information of the translator or translation company

For Overseas Applicants

When sending a document that is not in English or Welsh to the Embassy, the document along with a full translation should be sent containing:
  • Written confirmation authenticating the translation of the document 
  • Date of the translation
  • Credentials of the translator or translation company and
  • Contact information of the translator or translation company
A translation of an overseas qualification or award certificate will not be considered as a direct translation of the academic level of that award. The Embassy will use UK NARIC to assess the equivalency of overseas qualifications.

 Additional Requirement for Financial Sponsorship

An 'official financial sponsor' is an organisation that funds your education and living costs in the UK. Your government, The English government, the British Council or any international company, international organisation, university or UK independent school can be an official financial sponsor. You need your sponsor's permission to continue education in the UK as a Tier 4 student if it is currently supporting you to study in the UK as:
  • A Tier 4 student
  • A student nurse
  • A student re-sitting an examination
  • A student writing up a thesis; or
  • A postgraduate doctor or dentist
Your sponsor's written permission should be submitted to the Embassy, the statement confirming that the sponsor has no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK.

 Additional Requirement for 16 or 17 Years Old Students

Minors have the legal right to live independently in the UK making own arrangements for accommodation. However your parents or legal guardians’ permission is required. While living independently, you should submit a letter from your parents or legal guardians to the Embassy, confirming:
  • Your relationship with them
  • That they have given their permission for your application
  • That they have given their permission for you to live independently in the UK and
  • That they have given their permission for your travel to the UK
If the permission letter is signed by only one parent or legal guardian, proof of legal custody or sole responsibility for you should be submitted. If no document on custody is available, the letter should verify that each parent or legal guardian agrees to the content of the letter, and must be signed by each parent or legal guardian.
Also, you can read The UK Visa Procedure - 
To understand the complete process involved to stay, work and study without any pressure as an international student in the UK.
All the Best!
Source: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk
Image Source: www.hyderabadoverseas.com

Need help applying for a study visa?

Himanshi Satyarathi Himanshi Satyarathi,
IDP Expert
Get FREE guidance on every aspect on visa application process. Get in touch with us now!