One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
Article image
Antony Chacko

Antony used to be a Product Manager with us and occasionally has written articles for our study abroad aspirants. When not at work you'd find him at the theaters watching movies.


08 Dec 2014 521 Book icon 4 mins Share

The UK Visa Procedure - While in the UK

The Artcile lists out the things you should know after receiving visa and while staying in the uk.

08 Dec 2014 521 Book icon 4 mins Share
Antony Chacko

Antony used to be a Product Manager with us and occasionally has written articles for our study abroad aspirants. When not at work you'd find him at the theaters watching movies.


Share this article
The UK Visa Procedure - While in the UK

After clearing your interview and receiving your visa you qualify to fly to the UK. But just that alone won’t help you enter the UK. As soon as you arrive in the UK, you may need to show evidence of your reasons to be in the UK to an immigration officer. Along with your hand luggage you should carry copies of the documents that you used to get your visa. You won’t experience any trouble when you arrive in the UK, if:

  •     You provided the Embassy with all the information relevant to your stay in the UK when you applied for a visa
  •     You did not, with or without your knowledge, provide false information to support your application, and
  •     There has been no adjustment to your circumstances or your reasons for travelling to the UK, given that the visa was issued

If you are discovered that you have submitted false information to support your application, you will not be allowed to enter the country and will be automatically refused a visa for 10 years for using deception on an application.

What are my Rights as a Foreigner?

During your stay in the UK as a foreigner, you have the right to:
Be treated fairly and lawfully equal regardless of your race, nationality, gender, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation or any disability; and
Practise your own religion - likewise, you are likely to show respect for people of other faiths.

It is your deemed responsibility to:

  •     Obey the law
  •     Care for your children; and
  •     Report to the police, if it is necessary to do so.

You can avail help in the UK from sources like:

  •     Citizens Advice, which has offices all around the UK
  •     The Yellow Pages
  •     The Thomson Local phone books
  •     The local council, for details on services such as education, social/public services and transport; and
  •     Public libraries, which have free computers to search for information

If Visa has Expired or will Expire Soon?

If you currently hold temporary permission to continue in the UK, you may be able to prolong this permission and stay in the longer. You cannot extend your permission to stay as a visitor beyond 6 months in most cases - however, in certain situations you may be able to switch into a different immigration category to stay in the UK.

If you have the stay in the UK for longer and extend your stay, you must apply for authorization to do so before your existing permission ends. If your permission has already expired, you are obliged to leave the country immediately and upon refusal to leave to the UK, you may be liable for removal.

Before you apply to extend your permission to stay, you should make sure that you meet the requisites in your immigration category.

How to Transfer a Visa from an Expired Passport?

There is no need to transfer your visa from your old passport to your new passport, as you can travel with both of your passports and show them both to an immigration officer when you arrive in the UK. If you would like to transfer your visa from an old passport to a new passport, you should pay a fee.

What to do if Passport and Visa are Lost or Stolen?

If you have lost your passport or if it has been stolen, you should pay the full visa fee for a replacement visa. First you should apply to your country’s government for a replacement passport and then reapply to the Embassy for a replacement visa. You should also provide a police report as proof that your passport has been reported missing or stolen.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

A biometric residence permit is an identity card which contains:

  •     Your biographic details like your name, and your date and place of birth; and
  •     Your biometric information - fingerprints and photograph
  •     Your immigration status and your privileges while you are in the UK

If you apply to extend your leave to remain or apply for indefinite leave to remain, you have to provide your biometric information as part of the application process. As soon as you receive your permit, it is advised that you to make a photocopy of the front and back of the permit, as it will be useful in case it is lost or stolen. When you want to apply again for a visa in the future, you will have to send your permit to the UK Border Agency.

It is important that you check your permit carefully when you receive it, to ensure that all the details on the permit are correct. When come across errors in the permit, you should email in 10 working days of the date when you received the permit, or else you will be charged for a replacement and will need to apply again. In your email please mention:

  •     Your name in full
  •     Your date of birth
  •     Your nationality
  •     Your passport number
  •     Your biometric data residences permit reference number
  •     Your case reference number
  •     Your telephone number; and
  •     A brief description explaining about the discrepancy

Failing to provide all the above required information, the responsible stadd may take time to answer you back. You can also mail information to:
                Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ,
                Returns Unit,
                PO Box 163,
                BS20 1AB

Who Should Apply for a Biometric Residence Permit?

If you are applying for a UK visa for 6 months or longer you should apply for a biometric residence permit and if you are currently in the UK and you want to:

  •     Extend your temporary permission to continue stay to a total of 6 months or more
  •     Apply for permission to settle in the UK which called as 'indefinite leave to remain'
  •     Transfer your permission to continue stay from an old passport or similar document using form TOC or NTL; or
  •     Apply for a Convention travel document (1951 refugee or 1954 stateless person) or a certificate of travel.

If you are differently abled and unable to provide fingerprints, a photograph your face will be taken digitally and will be recorded in the database that you cannot provide fingerprints.

All the Best.

Imae Source:

Need help applying for a study visa?

Purvi Agarwal Purvi Agarwal,
IDP Expert
Get FREE guidance on every aspect on visa application process. Get in touch with us now!