One-stop shop for Indian students interested in overseas education Enroll at one of our trusted Uni partners from Australia, US, UK and other countries Call us free on
1 800 103 2581
Study abroad FAQs
Kavitha Vijeyavelan

Hello there. Kavitha Vijeyavelan, is the lead content editor handling all editorial processes for Hotcourses India- an IDP company. Having started out an (other) engineer turned writer, she has a never ending hunger for chocolates ( & counting calories ironically), quotes, & stories worth sharing with the world. Her favorite quote at the moment: "why squeeze into glass slippers when you can shatter the glass ceiling?"


23 Feb 2019 13.2K Book icon 26 mins Share

Study abroad FAQs – Expert Answers on Hotcourses India’s Student Forum

Here are some study abroad FAQs that have been asked by students like you on our Forum page. Have a look…

23 Feb 2019 13.2K Book icon 26 mins Share
Study abroad FAQs

We come across many questions every day from study abroad aspirants like you every day and we thought we’d share some of the questions and our answers with you for your benefit.

Whether it is about studying in the USA, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Malaysia, Singapore, IELTS preparation, TOEFL, GMAT, visas, scholarships, how to apply to universities abroad, or just studying abroad – our counselors have heard it all and years of experience in the overseas education sector has equipped us with the skills to guide you in this stage of your study journey. 

Study Abroad 

Q: Hi, my son wants to be a pilot, but it’s difficult for us to fund the entire tuition fee. I have suggested that he pursues Aeronautical Engineering now so that later he can get a pilot license. I feel this is an easier route to get a job as a pilot. What’s your opinion? Are there any scholarships available for studying Aeronautical Engineering abroad?

A: To become a pilot, he will have to study either Commercial Pilot Licensing (CPL) or a Bachelor in Aviation and Flight Operations degree which includes certain hours of flying and makes him eligible to be a licensed pilot. There may not be many scholarships available at the UG level until and unless offered specifically by the university based on academic merit.

Q: Hi, I have just completed a foundation course in Law. Are there any courses, such as corporate administration, business administration, that I can pursue abroad by using the foundation course? Besides, can you mention the minimum requirement to study abroad? Thank You.

A: Thanks for your query! Yes, you can pursue Business Administration, Management, Business Management, and International Business by using your foundation course.

United States

Q: I am willing to apply for MS in Computer Science for Fall 2018. I have a lot of confusions regarding the universities to apply to. I even tried paid consultants but none of them provided satisfactory suggestions. I hope any one of you can help me out.

• GRE – 311 Q159 V152 AWA4

• TOEFL – 107

• CGPA – 8.95 in in Computer Science

A:  Hi, thank you for checking with us. Shortlisting of US universities is a two- three day process for us. There are around 4500 universities in the USA – out of which 2000 might be offering the program that you are looking at. We will filter these based on your GRE score – let’s say some 1000 accept your score. Out of 1000, we will again filter based on your work experience / projects / internships - let’s say 500 accept your level of experience. Out of these 500, we then will find the specialization you are looking at – which could bring us down to some 200 universities. Lastly, based on your budget and location preference, we will shortlist around 15-20 universities. For this kind of an analysis we require more details than what you have shared. Please send us your academic documents and updated resume so we can perform a detailed analysis of your profile and get you the list. We will get back to you soon after we receive these details.

Q: I am currently a senior year undergrad student in Civil Engineering, studying at the University of Mumbai, and I plan to specialise in Airport Management/Development. My BE degree isn't very relevant to the field, but I have researched a few universities like the Vaughn College of Aeronautics, NY and Florida Institute of Technology that offer MS courses in Airport Management, irrespective of the undergrad field. What are my chances of getting admissions at either of the above institutes?

A: Hi, it’s true that there are few Universities that accept profiles with unrelated undergrad fields, for admissions into MS in Airport Management. But the mentioned universities (above) will stand you in good stead if you can mention your best interests in your SOP (statement of purpose), and explain why you want to choose this ‘particular’ University? What are your goals? 

Q:  I have completed my B.Tech in Electrical Engineering, and my score is 78%. I have scored 285 in GRE and band 6 in IELTS. Now I am planning to do an MBA, with specialization in Aviation, in the USA. Can I get a part-time job along with my studies in the USA? And please suggest me some good universities that offer financial aid and placement assistance? Awaiting your reply!

A: You have a good score in your bachelors and have also scored moderately in IELTS. A good IELTS score is about a 6.5 band with no band less than 6. Most universities in the USA require 2-3 years of managerial level work experience for admissions into MBA programs. There are universities that accept students without work experience but going for an MBA with work experience will be an added advantage. You can try to score more in GRE since the minimum score is 310. Besides for MBA admissions you need to take the GMAT, for which the minimum score is 620/800. You can also work part-time for 20 hours per week under the university regulations. Scholarships will depend upon your previous academic result and also on your academic performance in the 1st term, depending on which you will get a fee waiver or scholarship from the 2nd term onwards. Scholarships are generally limited and not all get equal opportunities. 

Q: I have completed BBA in Aviation Operation from India, and also cleared IATA exam for ticketing management. I want to pursue masters in Aviation, or any related course in Aviation Sector. Please suggest me some suitable options.

A: Since you have completed a BBA in Aviation, you can enhance your domain by doing either 

  • Master of Science in Airport Management -the course covers airport planning and operations with a special emphasis on security and safety or 
  • Master of Business Administration - Aviation Management - understanding of the air transport industry and the challenges and issues it faces. You can also find more postgraduate programs in Aviation. Hope this helps!

Q: Can a diploma holder of 3yrs (total 15 years of education), with 7 yrs of work experience, apply for a 1-year bachelors degree or get credits to sit in the second or third year?

A: Hi, the decision to transfer credits solely depends on the university’s academic committee. But the chances are quite positive, provided the diploma you have received is a government recognised one.

Try applying to Johnson and Wales University in the USA. It offers good Hospitality Management courses. 

Q: I am working in Noida, for 4+ years, in a company that deals with Java/J2EE technology, and I am an SCJP and SCWCD certified candidate. By Qualification I am a BCA graduate from Rajasthan University (2009 batch). Later I completed my masters by distance learning. Now I want to do an MS/MSc in IT (full time). I am planning to take GRE and TOFEL this year. Could you please guide me and let me know if I am eligible for an MS abroad?

A:  Hope you are fine! You are very well eligible to apply for an MS/MSc overseas. If you are looking to study in the USA, you need to take the GRE. To study in other countries, you can take the TOEFL/IELTS. The United Kingdom accepts only the IELTS. Hope this helps!


Q: I am in 12th grade studying Commerce. I want to pursue both UG and PG in Canada. I have a few questions for you:

  • What's the difference between a university and college in Canada? Should I join a college that is offering a degree?
  • How can I do a Canadian CPA? What are its requirements? I know about US CPA but Canadian CPA is quite different.
  • What are "12 U OR M courses"? This is something that I often see on pages of business courses.

A: Thanks for enquiring with us! In Canada, community colleges offer certificate and diploma programs that are more career- focused and universities are more focused on the academic and professional aspect of things. Colleges offer courses for trades, apprenticeship training, language training and upgrading skills. They also offer degree programs. To pursue your CPA, you need to have a bachelors degree (B.Com or BBA) as an entry requirement. Regarding U / M / C, please find below the details.

  • C = College Preparation
  • M = University / College Preparation
  • U = University Preparation

Q: I am an Electrical engineer, having 2 years of experience in IT. Now I want to do my masters in IT Business Management abroad. Do I need to have bachelors in management in this case? Am I eligible for a management course in Canada?

A: You can definitely go for a management course. Student can opt for Engineering management, Management, Technology Management, Project Management in Master’s Program. Some universities require GMAT. If required, we can help you short list colleges or universities and can help with your applications.

Q: I am a B.Com graduate and had 4 backlogs in core subjects and 3 backlogs in languages. These backlogs were due to not being able to attend the exams, but I have cleared them. Will it affect my chances of doing a masters in Canada?

A: Thanks for your query! The colleges in Canada offering 3-year PG diploma programs accept a maximum of 4 backlogs and 4-year programs accept 6–8 backlogs- depending on your percentage. The acceptance of backlogs varies from college to college in Canada. For better assessment and suggestions, we would request you to please share your documents with us so that we can assist you further in the admission process. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Q: Hi, I have completed my B.Tech in CSE with 67% overall, but with 12 backlogs. In the last 2 years of my study I had only 2 backlogs, but now all backlogs are from the 4 semesters, thus resulting in a low percentage. 

  • 1st semester – 2 subjects detained.
  • 2nd semester – 2 subjects detained; 1 lab detained.
  • 3rd semester – 2 subjects detained; 1 failed.
  • 4th, 5th and 7th semester – 1 subject detained.

I also played Football at a state level during the 2nd semester, but I don’t have a certificate. In the 8th semester, I managed to score 93%. As per university guidelines, I need 73% in the last 2 years of study. Would the backlogs affect my chances of being accepted?

A: Hi, as per the information shared with us, your profile is good but 12 backlogs might limit your options. Canadian universities are more academic-focused, and they demand 70% or above, with maximum 1 to 3 backlogs. In your case, please send us an email, before applying to the university with complete details of your profile. We will help you with pre-application to universities and wait for their responses before commencing the application process.

Q: I am currently studying in 12th grade, and I am planning to do my bachelors in Canada. But I am not sure if I can manage with the living cost so it would be great if you can tell me something about the living expenses, apart from the college fees, in Canada. Please let me know about a few scholarship programs as well.

A: Hi, the living expenses in Canada will be approx. CAD10,000 per year, but it depends on individual  student lifestyle. Scholarships depend upon your previous academic results and on your academic performance in the 1st term too. The university admission team will require you to meet certain eligibility criteria for scholarships and financial aid.


Q: I would like to take up an accredited Architecture program in Australia. Could you tell me what accreditations to look for and which universities you would generally recommend? 

A:  Thanks for your query! The eight boards of accreditation in Australia to look out for are:

  • NSW Architects Registration Board
  • Architects Registration Board of Victoria
  • Board of Architects of Queensland
  • The Architectural Practice Board of South Australia
  • Architects Board of Western Australia
  • Australian Capital Territory Architects Board
  • Board of Architects of Tasmania
  • Northern Territory Architects Board
  • Australian Institute of Architects
  • Commonwealth Association of Architects

Educational institutions offering accredited qualifications for architecture in Australia:

  • University of Canberra
  • University of Sydney
  • University of New South Wales
  • University of Technology, Sydney
  • University of Newcastle
  • Bond University
  • University of Queensland
  • Queensland University of Technology
  • Griffith University 
  • University of Adelaide
  • University of South Australia
  • University of Tasmania
  • Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
  • Deakin University
  • University of Melbourne
  • Monash University
  • Curtin University
  • University of Western Australia 

But for more detailed guidance, please give us your academic profile and contact details and we will get back to you!

Q: I have completed my bachelors in ECE, with 7.1 CGPA, and I want to pursue my masters in Electronic and Computer Engineering. I have taken IELTS and got my results too – an overall band of 6.5, but comparatively lesser in each module – writing 5.5, speaking 6.0, reading 6.5 and listening 8.0. My preferred countries for my masters include the USA, followed by Australia and Canada.  I am expecting a decent college which is well known for both, placements and education.

A: You can apply to Binghamton University, State University of New York, University of Bridgeport, Rowan University or Montana State University. You need not think about retaking the IELTS exam unless the university asks for it. You can also look for good universities in Australia for your course and can apply to the University of Sydney, The Australian National University, RMIT University, or Griffith University.

Q: Hi, I have completed by BE (Electronics and Communication) and my CGPA is 5.9. I am looking for good universities in Australia to pursue masters in Networking. How much should I score in TOEFL and GRE?

A: Check out some of the Australian universities that offer engineering & networking related courses. If you are only looking for Australia then it is recommended to appear for IELTS. An IELTS band of 6.5 or a TOEFL iBT score of 90 and above is required by the universities. Please note that the GRE exam is not required to study in Australia. If you are looking for study in other countries, say the USA, then you need to have a bachelors with a 3.0 GPA, IELTS – 6.5, TOEFL– 95 and above and GRE – 310 above scores.

Q: I am doing my 3rd year bachelors in electronics and communication engineering at Anna University of Technology, Chennai. I have a great deal of interest in robotics and have completed various projects in robotics and won many prizes at several technical symposiums. But the problem is my CGPA is low – nearly 7.5. Could you please help me in strengthening my profile?

A: A 7.5 CGPA is considered to be a good profile to apply to top universities in Australia. You should appear for IELTS which is a mandatory requirement. GRE is not required by universities in Australia.

Q: I have completed my B.Tech, with 70.89 %. Currently, I am looking for a 1-year postgraduate course in Electronics and Communication or Telecommunications either in New Zealand, Canada or Australia. Could you please help me with the details about the course and fee structure?

A: Here is a list of universities that offer postgraduate course on telecommunications - you can go with Universities like RMIT, Curtin, UWS, which offer a 1 year course on telecommunications. All the best!

Q: Hello! I have scored overall 6.5 in IELTS – listening 7.5, reading 6, speaking 6.5 and writing 5.5 band. Am I eligible to get admissions at the Charles Darwin University, Australia?

A: Hi, no worries! You are eligible to apply to Charles Darwin University. They accept a minimum score of 6.5 in IELTS.

Q: Please suggest some universities in Australia, which are economic too, that have paid internship programs for masters in Civil Engineering.

A: Regional universities usually have fee structures that are more affordable. Edith Cowan University, Charles Darwin University, Federation University and University of New England are fantastic options that will suit your profile and budget. You can find more details on programs and universities on our website. University of Tasmania has affordable fees and some scholarship opportunities too. When you apply for your masters, please make sure you apply for a 2-year degree so that you can apply for a PR in Australia, if you wish to. And you should be ready to spend nearly 25,000–28,000 Aus $ per year.

Q: I am studying B.Tech now, with 68% aggregate, and I already have 10 backlogs. Will I get admissions and a visa to study in Australia or Canada?

A: Hi, some universities in Australia do not accept students with backlogs and some do. You might have to contact the university directly or get your profile assessed through an Education Advisor to evaluate your chances.

Your overall percentage of 68% should help you gain entry into a good university in Australia, but chances are less in Canada.

Please do take the IELTS exam and try achieving a band of 6.5 (none of the sections less than 6.0). It would be better if you can meet the representatives of some of the universities in-person, when they visit India.

Q: Hi I am a Commerce graduate from India, and I want to switch my career to Hotel Management. Looking for a masters degree in Australia. Please suggest some good universities.

A: Your interest towards Hotel Management is appreciated, but there are chances that the university might consider it as an irrelevant course selection and reject your application.

I would suggest you to go for masters in the same field as your parent subject (bachelors). Or else, you can go a postgraduate diploma in Hotel Management first and then apply for masters in Hotel Management, thus enhancing your profile.

Q: I am currently doing my 3rd year B.Tech in Computer Science. I am interested to do my masters in Tourism Management preferably in Australia. I want to know the eligibility for the course. Should I do some kind of distance degree (in Tourism) in this one year before applying for masters? Please give me as much details as possible about Tourism Management. Thank You :)

A: Australia is a good choice for studying Tourism Management. But since you have completed your bachelors in CS, I would advise you to go ahead with the same field. 

Q: Hi, I really didn’t score well in my 10th and 12th grade. Is there a chance of getting admissions at a decent university in Australia for an MBA program, if I score well in GMAT. Please note I don’t have any work experience.

A: You need to complete your bachelors first to pursue an MBA. If you score well in your undergraduate degree, that will offset your high school (10th and 12th grade) score. There are many good universities in Australia to choose from for an MBA. Some universities will ask for 2–3 years of work experience. You need to have a minimum of 6.5 and 90 in IELTS/TOEFL, respectively, to gain admission in a good university in Australia. For further information, send your queries to

Q: I am studying B.Com (2nd semester). I am interested to study an MBA in Australia after my bachelors. Please give me some information about the cheapest, but reputed, universities in Australia to study an MBA. Can I get some part-time jobs? What will be the average monthly expenses? Thank you...

A: Australia is more affordable than most other destinations and offers quality education, with excellent living conditions. The cost of living and tuition in Australia is much lower compared than that of the USA or the UK.  In Australia there are two types of universities- one that provide you fresher MBA programs and the other that needs 2- 3 years of work experience. The duration of an MBA is 2 years in Australia.  The average cost of studies is 23,000 – 28,000 AUD per annum. You have an option of working part time for 40hrs per fortnight to help you manage your living expenses.  

Q: Could you please tell me if TOEFL is sufficient to get through Australian B-schools?

A: Most Australian Universities expect a good GMAT score along with a good number of years of work experience for MBA admissions. If you have already appeared for the TOEFL, this will be accepted by the universities along with a good GMAT score. TOEFL score requirements may vary depending upon the university and course you are applying for. 


Q: I want to pursue my masters from Malaysia, and I have already applied at two universities in order to maximise my chances of studying abroad. I have been accepted at one of those universities and have applied for a student visa through it. Meanwhile I have received the acceptance letter from the latter university, which is apparently my first choice.

Now my question is – if I want to defer/cancel the previous offer and join the latter university, would my visa application through the first university be a problem or stand in my way of joining the latter university? Your help will be much appreciated!

A: Since the Malaysian Visa can be applied for only through a university, the university’s name is always mentioned on the visa. So if you are keen on changing your options, you must inform both universities. I hope this helps!

Q: I want to know how much it will cost (USD) to study Hotel Management and Hospitality at Reliance College in Malaysia.

A: Hi, a diploma in Hotel Management at Reliance College would cost nearly 3500 USD. Plus you should keep 2500 USD in hand for your living expenses, per year. In case you are looking at other options, you can do masters in Hotel Management in Singapore, spending nearly 8000 USD, in reputed colleges such as SHATEC and Nanyang Inst. of Management.

Q: Where can I do bachelors in Logistics & Supply Chain Management in Malaysia?

A: Hi, Bachelor of Logistics and Supply Chain Management is offered at universities like UCSI University, Infrastructure University Kuala Lumpur, Sunway University, Limkokwing University, etc.


Q: I would like to take up a program on Life Sciences in Germany and would like to know your suggestions on which universities to pick from and other general pre-requisites? 

A: You must have an academic background related to life sciences with atleast a 2.5 grade along with a strong SOP, LORs, and a resume.

Some educational institutions that offer Life Sciences programs include- LMU Munich, Heidelberg University, Technical University of Munich, University of Gottingen, and University of Freiburg. 

Q: What’s the required percentage to get admissions at a German university? Will my extra-curricular activities affect my admissions?

A: The percentage required for admissions by German Universities depends from program to program. In general the percentage should not be less than 70%. And extra-curricular activities related to academics will be an added advantage for your profile.

Q: I see most of the students prefer Germany to study mechanical engineering. Is there any specific reason why it is so popular in Germany? How easy is it to work over there after completing my studies?

A: Germany is the hub of Mechanical Engineering. Germany gives you a work permit of 18months and to secure jobs in Germany, you have to be technically sound with a good academic record in your bachelors and masters degree plus knowing the German language will be an added advantage. 


Q: I have completed my 12th grade with 75% in 2009. And have had 1 gap year after this. Then, joined my bachelors degree in 2010, and discontinued this due to personal problems unfortunately. I have been taking care of my father’s business from 2010 June till date. Now- I’d like to go for an Integrated Bachelors in Business that will lead to an MBA program. Do you have any suggestions about which universities in Singapore I can apply to?

A: For educational providers in Singapore, mostly one gap year is accepted- provided you have proper work experience letters to produce. We suggest for you to look at institutes like PSB academy, Amity University, and MDIS.

Before we submit your online application, we will have the pre-screening application done for these universities to find out if your profile is eligible for the program. If we get a positive reply, we will assist you in submitting the complete application and get admit letters for you. Please give us your contact details so we can get in touch with you.

Q: I have been working as a software tester in an IT company for the past 2 years. Now, I am planning to switch over and do my higher studies in Supply Chain. Please advise some good colleges in Singapore/UK.

A: You may switch from IT to Supply Chain by providing a strong statement of purpose reasoning your interest for the course. You can apply for universities like Curtin University- Singapore, SP Jain Global School of Management- Singapore, Coventry University- UK, Heriot Watt University- UK, and Kingston University- UK. 

Q: Are there any colleges offering dual specialisation in Aviation and Human Resource Management in Singapore? Are there any scholarships available for Indian students who wish to do an MBA in Singapore? Is IELTS must for Indian students to get admissions in management colleges in Singapore?

A: Hi, Nanyang Polytechnic offers such a dual specialization in Diploma programs in Singapore. Yes, there are scholarships available for MBA which is based on academic merit. Most of the universities in Singapore do not require an IELTS score if your previous medium of study was English.

Q: Are there any courses for B.Tech Electrical students who want to join the merchant navy?

A: Yes, there are some courses available in Singapore like Diploma in Marine Engineering, Diploma in Marine Science and Aquaculture, Diploma in Maritime and Offshore Management. You may not be able to pursue a masters degree since universities require previous degrees to be in a relevant field. 

Q: Hi, I have completed my B.E in Civil Engineering, from Coimbatore Institute of Technology, with 9.5 CGPA. I wish to do an MS in Civil Engineering from Singapore with full scholarship. Can you please guide me with the best universities and scholarships available?

A: Thanks for the query! Masters in Civil engineering is available at National University of Singapore & Nanyang Technological University. You may apply for various scholarships offered by universities or tuition grants by the Singapore Government to fund your education but without any assurance of receiving full funding from the government or university.

Q: I passed HSc with 86.5% and high school with 82%. I have completed my bachelors in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, with CGPA 7.78, without any arrears. I have attended 4 in-plant training during my undergraduate course, and have done a final-year project on energy conservation in a reputed government large-scale industry. Currently, I am working at TCS for the past 2 years as an Asst. System Engineer. Do I have a chance of getting admissions at NUS, for studying masters program in Safety, Health and Environment?

A: At NUS the admission evaluation is carried out based on a combination of factors such as academic performance, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores – GRE 310+, IELTS -7/TOEFL-100+,relevant work experience, strong SOP and extracurricular activity. It is advisable to apply to the university by the Round 1 deadline. For further guidance, email us. 

Q: Sir, I aspire to become an automobile engineer. My preference is NUS for my higher studies. I will be completing my schooling next year from CBSE board, and I haven’t applied for any exams like SAT or IELTS or TOEFL. Kindly tell me the admission requirements at NUS. On their website, they have specified that SAT scores are not required for Indian students; Is that true?

A: NUS being one of the top Universities in Singapore and abroad, you need to have a very strong academic background with minimum 95% in your grade 12 along with extracurricular activities but this does not guarantee admission at NUS. SAT and IELTS or TOEFL are not mandatory requirements for CBSE students but you may appear for them to maximise your chances at university.

 Q: What marks do I need to have gotten in the 12th CBSE board examination to get admissions at Nanyang Technological University for Mechanical Engineering? Will they look into cut-off marks? Will they look into other exam results?

A: In order to get admission at Nanyang, you need to score around 95% in the board exam. Plus a SAT -1 score of 1400/1600 will make your application quite strong. 

Q: I have scored 64.2% marks in 10th grade, 60.5% marks in 12th grade and 76.3% marks till 3rd year in B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering. Can I go for masters in Singapore in Mechanical and Energy Engineering?

A: Apart from your academic scores, you may write GRE with 310+ score and IELTS of 6.5 overall. National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) offer an MS mechanical and energy engineering.

United Kingdom

Q: Hi. I’ve completed my bachelors in Electrical Engineering and I’m not interested to go for an MS or relevant programs to my study area.  I’m a 2016 pass-out with 6.2 CGPA and 2 years of work experience looking to go for MSc International Management in the UK. Is this a good study option to take up in the UK? And if so, which universities can I apply to? 

A: Thanks for your question. Yes, the UK is one of the best countries for business programs in the world. It accepts 15 years of education for masters programs. Along with theory in lectures, you will benefit from practical activities and business case studies that will be included in your program. You will have good exposure to industry standards and practices through industrial visits and interactive guest lectures with entrepreneurs. There may also be an opportunity to travel to other international countries through study abroad programs. Some universities we recommend for you are…

      o Brunel University London ( For MSc International Business)

      o Kingston University ( For MSc International Business Management) 

Please get in touch with us so we can have a more detailed look at your profile and give you complete guidance.

Q: I want to achieve a baccalaureate degree in English language and literature at the Oxford University. What should I do to get an admission there? Besides, are there any scholarships available?

A: Thank you for posting your query. To secure admission to the Oxford University for a bachelors degree, you are required to maintain your academic grades. The university requires a minimum 90% or above in Year 10 and Year 12 (CBSE/ ISC Board). Along with your Year 12 grades, you are required to sit for an entrance exam, English Literature Admission Test (ELAT) in your country. The course begins in September every year and the duration is for 3 years. You may apply for partial funding offered by the university but it depends on your academic merit.

I hope this information helps. Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you require assistance with the admission process to universities abroad.

Q: Will my GRE result be used to substitute IELTS?

A: GRE cannot substitute IELTS and it is not required for admission purposes. However, the UK Universities doesn't have mandatory IELTS requirement for international students but if you have completed your entire education in English and have scored a minimum of 70% in grade 12 English, then the IELTS requirement can be waived off.

Universities in the UK require an IELTS band of 6.5 for admissions for their programs; you may have to write an IELTS Academic or IELTS UKVI Academic as per the requirement of the university. 

Q: Hi, I have applied for a tier- 4 (general) student visa for the UK. I have held the amount required for maintenance i.e., GBP 9,135 for 28 days in my bank account. And I have submitted my 6 months account statement along with the visa application. I would like to know if I can withdraw any/some amount of money from my account now or should I abstain from doing that till I get my visa? Will withdrawing any money now affect the outcome of my visa application? Thank you.

A: Hi, thanks for writing to us. You are supposed to maintain a minimum required balance in your account, till your visa is granted. Please do not withdraw the amount. For more clarification, you can call us on our toll-free number.

Q: Hello! I am studying bachelors in Mechanical now, and I am alternatively doing my masters diploma in Aerospace Design at the CADD Centre. I am interested in doing my MS in Aerospace Engineering abroad. How can I proceed further? What all other courses I need to take for masters in Aerospace Engineering? Please do reply!

A: Aerospace Engineering is popular in the USA, Germany and UK. Your bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering makes you eligible for Masters in Aerospace Engineering and you are not required to study any additional subjects to get admission to the program. However, your academic scores are important and also should be taken into account. You need to choose the list of universities that match your academic profile and financial budget the best.  You may have to take the IELTS or TOEFL; and please note some universities in the USA may expect you to take the GRE. 

Q: I want to pursue masters in Air Transport and Management. Which are the best universities abroad offering this course? What are the mandatory requirements for studying this course? What should be the minimum CGPA and IELTS score to apply for this program abroad?

A: Air Transport Management is an exciting industry. Cranfield is a very popular University for you to apply, and you can also try at Coventry University in Birmingham or City University, London. 

Some other options to choose from for an MBA in Aviation Management are- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Florida; Swinburne University, Australia; and ESC Toulouse, France. 

In general, a good degree in a relevant field is required or in case of no relevant degree, you must hold some related experience in the aviation industry along with a minimum of 6.5+ band in the IELTS.

Q: Hello! I have completed my bachelors in Physiotherapy, and I am working since last 3 months. I am interested in studying an MBA in Healthcare Management abroad. My budget is around 15 lakhs. Which country should I prefer for this program – the USA or UK? 

A: An MBA in Healthcare Management is equally good in both, the UK and USA. But considering your budget, the UK will be the best option since masters in the UK are just one year and will help you achieve your degree in aforesaid budget.

Q: I have always wanted to study an MBA in Marketing, but owing to my budget I am getting an MSc in International Marketing at Anglia Ruskin University. Could you please tell me what’s the difference between these two courses.

A: Do not make a decision based on the title of the program. We would advise you to take a detailed look at the course structure and check if it is in line with your interests and goals. We hope this solves your query but in case you wish to know more, please write to us so that we can suggest better options. 

Q: I am in my final year of engineering – Electrical and Electronics. I want to do an MBA abroad, but also want to drop a year. I am in a dilemma now as to what type of job experience I require. Should it be technical or management related?  

A: Hi, since you are looking for an MBA abroad, a managerial-level work experience is typically what you need. However, you should be careful to check the requirements of each university. Some will require a few years of post-graduation work experience whereas others require none. At the University of Sheffield, for example, at least 3–5 years of work experience is needed because of their Triple Crown Accreditation.  So it's always worth checking what each University's requirements are.

Q: I have completed my B.Tech from JNTU, Kakinada. I had around 20 backlogs (have cleared them now) during my B.Tech because of health issues, but I have managed to score well – 65%. Now, I wish to study an MS abroad in Electrical Engineering with specialisation in Nanotechnology. Please suggest some good universities [My preferences are European countries]. Will I get a visa if my GRE/TOEFL/IELTS score is good, and if I have a year gap? 

A: Some suggested universities for your profile are –

  • Southampton University- MSc Nanoelectronics & Nanotechnology,
  • University of Surrey- MSc Nanotechnology & Nanoelectronic Devices

A gap year is not a deal breaker provided you can justify its reason. Also, GRE is not required in the UK. You have to appear for the English language test, IELTS. For more information on universities, please register on our website, and kindly provide us with the required information so that we can assist you further.


Q: Hello! I am currently doing my fourth year BTech in Biotechnology. Which is the best option to do masters in Biotechnology – Europe or USA? What exams I need to write for my masters admissions?

  • My GRE is 290 and I am yet to take TOEFL.
  • My GPA is 6.3.

The Universities I have applied so far are asking for a minimum GRE of 293. Should I retake the GRE? Will I get admits at any University in Europe with my GPA? What do you think? Please reply!

A: Greetings! Choosing between Europe and USA will depend on several factors apart from just the universities’ entry requirements, such as expenses, course duration, stay-back options etc. A GPA of 6.3 is a pretty decent score and we can work out some good options for you in the UK for Masters in Biotechnology, such as the Oxford Brookes University, Nottingham Trent University, Herriot watt university, Greenwich etc. I will also recommend you to consider Ireland as a study destination option as it is very strong contender for Biotech-related courses.

New Zealand

Q: Which is the best destination abroad for an MSc. in food science and technology? Can you suggest a university that offers this?

A: For Food Science and Technology, New Zealand is among the best destinations to choose from globally. AUT University and University of Auckland offer these study options. You can get in touch with more details about your academic profile- so we can give you further guidance. 

Q: I have a diploma in Catering and Hotel Management. Is it possible to get into a degree program in the same field laterally, that is, can we join the second year of degree program?

A: You can get a lateral entry to the 2nd year of your degree program abroad, provided your diploma curriculum matches the syllabus of the first year of the degree program. There are several universities in the UK, Singapore and New Zealand that will grant you such admissions.

Test preparation:

Q: Do you offer IELTS coaching?  What is the cost and duration of this service?

A: Thanks for your query. Yes- we offer IELTS, PTE, and TOEFL coaching. IELTS coaching runs for 30 hours, PTE for 20 hours, and TOEFL for 30 hours. We charge you a nominal amount of 5,900 INR only inclusive of all taxes. The highlight of our sessions is that they will be personalized and customized as per your availability and requirements. These sessions will help you master the techniques to score well in the exams and if we feel you have the need to improve your language, we will give you suggestions on how to go about this as well. 

You can start your IELTS preparation with our mock IELTS practice test to see where you stand or just get in touch with us to enroll now.  

Q: I am deeply interested to study in the UK but I didn’t write any exams like the IELTS and TOEFL and I don't know much about them. Could you please give me some idea?

A: You may apply to UK Universities without taking the IELTS or TOEFL exam. In case universities require you to submit the score, you may appear and are expected to score a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS and 90 in TOEFL (ibt). You can visit the IDP Education or British council website for more information about the IELTS.

Q: Dear Sir, does USA/Canada/Australia/NZ have options to study without clearing the IELTS?

A: There are a few colleges that grant admissions without an IELTS score, provided you have a good score in the English language. But again, it varies on a case-to-case basis. However, the colleges that do not require IELTS score are not as competitive as the ones that require it. So, I would recommend you to take the exam so that you get admission into a good university. Check out this article for more info - Is IELTS Mandatory to Study Abroad?

Q: Hi :) I am currently studying in 12th grade, and I want to pursue my Undergraduate education at a US college. I decided to take IELTS but some people told me to take TOEFL instead. I am confused now as which one will be more suitable. Are both IELTS and TOEFL taken for the same purpose? Which would be more suitable for me? Thank You!

A: Both TOEFL and IELTS serve the same purpose, establishing your English language proficiency. Both tests comprise four modules – reading, listening, writing and speaking. Erstwhile, the TOEFL was more acceptable in the USA and the IELTS in other countries like the UK, AUS, NZ and CA. You will find a difference in the accent used in the ‘listening’ tests. Currently, both the IELTS and TOEFL are accepted by most universities so no worries. You can check the official TOEFL and IELTS websites for the format and more information- hope this helps!

Q: For admissions into an MS program (in Engineering) abroad, is it sufficient to take GRE general or should I write GRE subject test? May I know more about why GRE Subject Test is taken?

A: Thank you for your query. I would like to tell you that the GRE subject test is taken to prove the proficiency or command over a subject like Mathematics, Biology, and Chemistry etc. To study engineering, you need to take only the GRE general test.

Q: I have completed my graduation in Humanities and I am planning to do my higher studies in the USA. My worry is I am weak in Math, and most universities ask for GRE scores. How can I start preparing for GRE?

A: Thanks for the query! First, you should take a mock GRE test. Depending on the score you get, you can enrol into classes. There are a lot of institutes that can help with GRE preparation.

Q: I am currently in my 4th year of engineering (Electronics). I want to pursue an M.B.A from any of the top 10 B-schools in the world. Which exams should I take apart from GMAT which can help in making my application strong? Please tell me the minimum score I should achieve so that I can easily get admissions.

A: The universities that you are looking for need a minimum of 2-3 years of managerial work experience thus, as a fresher it is difficult for you to get admissions into such universities. They have very stringent admission requirements – excellent academic record, work experience, good GMAT score, extra-curricular background, MBA essay, SOP etc. 

However, there are universities that offer MBA for freshers – Binghamton University, Pepperdine University, University of Massachusetts-Boston, CUNY Baruch, U Mass Dartmouth and California State University Los Angeles that you can choose from. 

Hope all of these help! And hey- if you have a query for us- post away on our Student Forum- no time better than the present to start working on your study abroad dream, right?  

Want to study abroad?

Sabbi Jain Sabbi Jain,
IDP Expert
We can help you apply and study at top Universities abroad. Get in touch with us to get free advice!