‘All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.’ - Sounds familiar?
For a change, think how interesting it would be if ‘work’ itself was just ‘playing’. Welcome to a whole new world of careers in sports science and sports management. With sports-persons signing up for million-dollar endorsements and top-ranking athletes asking for personal coaches and fitness trainers; a career in sports science and sports management can be quite lucrative.
The Complete University Guide Subject Tables 2015 rank the following institutions in the UK to be the best places to study Sports Science.
- Durham University
- Birmingham University
- University of Bath
- Exeter University
- Loughborough University
Popular programmes offered by these universities are:
- BA Sport, Exercise and Physical Activity
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Sciences
- BSc (Hons) Sport Management
- MSC in Sport and Exercise Sciences
The top institutions in the USA offering courses in sports management are:
- Ohio University’s Center for Sports Administration
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- University of Central Florida
- University of Oregon’s Warsaw Sports Marketing Center
Australia with its beautiful coastline and strong sports culture favouring cricket, rugby and Australian Rules Football offers an excellent selection of sports management programmes.
Some of the top universities in Australia, which offer programmes in sports science and sports management are:
- Bond University
- Deakin University
- University of Sydney
- La Trobe University
- University of New South Wales
Why Consider Courses in Sports Science?
- The health and fitness of athletes and sports-persons is of critical importance. This is of even greater importance in single-player or two-player sports. Here is where fitness trainers come into play.
- With anti-doping laws becoming stricter with every passing mega sporting event, sports-persons have to be very careful about what they eat and drink. Here is where sports-nutritionists come into play.
- Sports injuries are a leading cause of worry among athletes and specialised care and recuperation is needed to recover. Here is where doctors specialising in sports medicine come into play.
- Sport is not just about physical strength and fitness; it is a mental game as well. Sports psychologists and motivational speakers play a major role in keeping sports-persons mentally strong.
Why Consider Courses in Sports Management?
- The sports industry is growing big year-on-year.
- In India, the success of the Indian Premier League has spawned highly successful leagues in football, field, hockey, kabbadi and lawn tennis.
- As the wealth of top sports-persons increases, intelligent promoters and managers are needed to help manage the growing wealth of these sports-stars.
- In the USA alone, the sports industry is projected to grow by $145 billion by the end of 2015.*
Successful students can choose from the following career opportunities:
- Sports development and coaching
- Sports medicine and psychology
- Sports marketing
- Sports operations
- Product and Brand management in Sports
- Sponsorship strategy and Communications in Sports
The past decade has seen the remarkable growth of sports related careers in India. With a heightened interest in sports other than cricket in India and the success of tournaments like the Indian Super League and Pro Kabbadi League, things are looking bright. Excellent individual performances by sports-stars like Mary Kom in boxing, Saina Nehwal and P. Sindhu in badminton and Sania Mirza in lawn tennis are all great signs for the development of sports in India. The nation’s obsession with cricket will never end and cricketers will continue to make money through their matches, endorsement deals and investments. So this is indeed the best time to sign up for a degree in sports science or sports management and succeed professionally.
We hope you found this article useful. Do share your thoughts and feedback in the ‘Comments’ section below.